Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon full boil extract. forcing me to the garage or basement? Need ideas!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
bmickey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallon full boil extract. forcing me to the garage or basement? Need ideas!

I as of right now have always cooked on the gas stovetop, a Jenn-Air gas stove top. I just moved up to a bigger 10 gallon pot so I can do a full boil extract kit setup. I think this pretty much ends the ability to cook in the comfort of my kitchen. Could I do it in the basement? From what I'm hearing using a propane burner is not only unsafe but puts off too much gases for a basement? What bout electric burner elements in the brew pot? I'm just looking for ideas. If I can't do it in my kitchen, my second thought would be the basement, the 3rd would be the garage and the 4th would be outside on the patio. Really the boil is the tricky part but not sure I want to carry my 10 gallon Polarware pot with 5 gallons of wort into the house to finish up. What do others do. I'm not even talking AG brewing at this point, just full 5 gallon boils. Help me with some ideas. My basement is a 13 brick high concrete wall, unfinished at this point. My garage is pretty big, 30' x 28' or so. I have a patio that is pretty close to the kitchen but not sure about brewing outside.

Ideas!? I'm excited to do the full boil and someday AG. I've purchased the equipment: burner, made a counterflow chiller, and 10 gallon pot. The other thing is I could use some ideas for setup regardeless of where its at...sorta like a 3 tier system of kettle, chiller, then into primary 6.5 gallon fermenter bucket. Anyone have any pictures of there setup?! Sorry I have so many questions, my head is spinning with both anticipation of that first full 5 gallon brew and headache trying to figure out the logistics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't use the basement unless you have very good ventilation. I still wouldn't suggest it with propane. An electric heating element is an idea, and a lot of brewing websites sell them. I'm going to be setting a friend up with a new system, and since he has an apartment, it will be all electric.

I personally brew in my garage. I have a 4 car garage though, and the back half is pretty much like the inside of my house anyways. It was setup as a woodshop, but I'm very picky about how clean it is. It has A/C and Heat so I can brew all year long.

Brewing outside is also not a problem as long as you keep bugs and leaves and things out of your beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

good ventilation and a Carbon Monoxide detector should keep you safe-ish in a basement.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

haha....safe-ish. I like that.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I do full boils (and AG) on my stovetop. I just spread the BK across two burners. I use a 7 gallon BK, though. 10 sounds a little tall.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

It used to take me the same amount of time to do 3 gallon boils on my stovetop as it does to do 7 gallon boils on my propane burners. Plus, my stove always got pretty nasty after boiling for that long. Black around the burners.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you're doing extract brews, I did extract in the kitchen (full 5-gal. boils) on my Jenn-Air cooktop in a 7.5 gal SS pot. Originally, I could barely maintain a bubbling boil, then I got some insulation from J.C. Whitney, intended for automotive firewalls, stuck it onto the pot with some spray adhesive they sell, and that made it a lot easier to maintain the boil. When I went to AG, I moved to the garage and a 50K btu propane burner. I wouldn't consider using a propane burner in the basement without a commercial-volume ventilation system...and, as mentioned in a previous post, a CO detector.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I do full boils (and AG) on my stovetop. I just spread the BK across two burners. I use a 7 gallon BK, though. 10 sounds a little tall.
My first couple AG batches, with 7g boils in an 8.5g pot were on a gas stovetop, and it certainly wasn't a big nice jenn-air stove.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I will probably take some bruises for this, but don't let anyone tell you using propane in your basement is safe. I don't care if you have 10 fans, 15 carbon monoxide detectors and a partridge in a pear tree. It is just not worth the risk. Do what you want, but I have said my piece. Ok, now you can all hit me with your best shot.

Guy

Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
bmickey
Recipes 

What about natural gas in your basement, is that really any different or safer?

Quick Reply