Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon "Culligan" bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5 gallon "Culligan" bottles

Can you use 5 gallon culligan bottles in place of a glass carboy for a secondary? I guess it would be similar to a BB right?

Any advice or pointers? I have 4 of these floating around and I thought it may save me some cabbage from not having to buy more glass carboys right away.

I am anxious to make apfelwein and I was going to use one of my Culligan bottles if I get the thumbs up from the forum......

Thanks!!!!

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The forum will tell you, don't risk it - not worth the chance to ruin 5 gallons of beer (or apfelwein) because you didn't want to spend a few buck on a carboy or better bottle.

I'm sure someone will say they have done it, and their beer came out fine. The trick is to check the type of plastic used, as O2 permiability is the important factor here.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Look for the recycling triangle with a number inside (should be stamped/embossed somehwere - probably on the bottom). If it's a #1, you're ok. Anything else and you're taking a chance. #7 is potentially the worst.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Look for the recycling triangle with a number inside (should be stamped/embossed somehwere - probably on the bottom). If it's a #1, you're ok. Anything else and you're taking a chance. #7 is potentially the worst.

Ditto that. You can also use #2 plastic, but try not to leave anything in it for more than, say, a month. Oxygen permeation will start to be a problem after that, and your plastic will start absorbing odors and flavors.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guess it is a no-go..... All of them are stamped with #7. Thanks for the info.

I wasn't try to be cheap, I have the cash to buy carboys. I was trying to be "thrifty" and invent a little DIY carboy.

Clinton, Utah

Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)

Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've been making wine in those very same jugs for about eight years, and never, I repeat, never have had a problem.

USE THEM and RDWHAHB!

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 04-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am not doubting you Jim, BUT can someone else give me some advice. I am hearing go for it----- and I am hearing not to go for it......

Clinton, Utah

Old 04-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think it comes down to, how long is the product going to be in the plastic, how long is the product going to be around once you package it (bottle it/keg it) and how long is it going to be around after that (how quickly will you drink it) and how sensitive are you to off-flavors?

The longer it is in the plastic, the more o2 can be absorbed - the greater the oxidation the longer it sits on the shelf.

If you are going to keep it in the plastic container for 2 weeks, then bottle and drink within a month, it will probably be fine.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a link to another thread: <http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25287>

It seems :

Water bottles ARE "food grade".

So far as O2 transmission, anything is better than the ubiquitous plastic bucket. But nobody complains about bad batch from the buckets.

NOBODY has ever brewed a bad batch that was blamed on a water bottle.

Even Better Bottles don't use tranmissibility as a sales tool.

Only downside of the water bottles is cleanability. with all those ribs formed in.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 04-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have four 3 gallon PET carboys. I've been using them for a year. No issue whatsoever. Hell all my bottles are PET!

I got them all at Lowes for $4.99 each. The local grocery store has them for $4.49

Like it was stated earlier somewhere check the marking on the bottom before you buy.

http://www.earthodyssey.com/symbols.html

If you are skeptical go to the store and find yourself a sixer BMC bottles in plastic. It'll have this triangle "1" marking.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply