5 Gallon Coleman Mash/Lauter Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zosomeone

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 5 gallon Coleman cooler from walmart and thought it was a great buy for just $20. But after coming and looking it up on its website, I noticed that it was not designed for hot liquids. Should I return it and get a Rubbermaid brand cooler? Or is this something that they're required to put as a disclaimer for some reason? Thanks for any advice regarding my small problem!

link: Coleman - 5 Gallon Beverage Cooler - Blue -

I've seen that cooler in people's avatars, and if you go Rubbermaid's site and dig (a lot...), Rubbermaid states that they don't recommend boiling liquids in theres as the liner could warp. I'm guessing that Coleman has the same concern- no problem for you as your tun doesn't need to field boiling temps. Overall, smells like legal disclaimer territory to me...

I'd use it, but the experts may have a different take. :mug:

i have the square version of that coleman and use it as my hlt, just dont dump boiling water in it when its cold warm it up first.

I'd return it and get a 10 gallon cooler so you can do bigger beers and not have to say at some point - " I should have bought a bigger cooler ".

btw - you are posting in the wrong part of HBT for these types of questions.

I'd return it and get a 10 gallon cooler so you can do bigger beers and not have to say at some point - " I should have bought a bigger cooler ".

btw - you are posting in the wrong part of HBT for these types of questions.

You're right! I just noticed that, I had some trouble with my browser showing up the "start thread" button, so once i saw it, I clicked.

Thanks for all the responses, I am actually planning on returning this one and getting the "Igloo 48 Quart Island Breeze" for $18.88 USD or the "Igloo 48-Quart Marine Cooler" for $24.88. The marine cooler seems to have more "bells and whistles" according to thermo-technology, but both lack a spigot. What would you guys recommend?

I have that exact Coleman 5 gallon cooler from Wallmart. I looked at the 5 gallon Rubbermaid ones at Home Depot and though they smelled strange.

I can help you through the parts needed to modify this cooler for a braided hose if you keep it because it's slightly different than what's needed for the Rubbermaid. I bought this originally to do partial mashes and decided to just do 3 gallon end of boil all-grain, full boil brews for a while to keep my brewing process entirely in the kitchen. I think it would be fine for any mash up to 1.100 for my volume of brewing, but haven't proven it out yet above 1.070.

MashTun_1.jpg

MashTun_3.jpg

SpentGrain.jpg

Thanks for the help Dsmith, but while you were writing that I went and exchanged that cooler for a 52-Quart Igloo cooler. I am also going to build a CPVC pipe manifold since now I will have the room to make a decent manifold. Thank you all for the help and am looking forward to my first all-grain batch!

Happy Brewing!

Here is a sketch and parts list for how I modified the Coleman 5 Gallon cooler for a mash tun (Below). I used the Rubbermaid cooler modification as a baseline for this.

Beyond the details listed in the parts list, here's what I recommend doing to maintain mash temperature and loose the least amount of wort to dead-space. I've measured 1F or less per hour temperature loss with grain, preheat mash tun with 175F water and allow to cool to strike temperature.

1. Tilt the cooler with a 2x4 before vorlauf. That leaves 12 oz of water in the bottom when testing without grain, will be less with the displacement of the wet grain.

2. Wrap the cooler with a sleeping bag during the mash.

3. Cut a 2" thick styrofoam round insert that fit tightly into the top of the cooler to prevent heat loss through the lid. Put the styrofoam in a food grade plastic bag. I attempted spray-foam insulation and it didn't work well, the styrofoam made a significant difference.

Coleman5GallonBeverageCoolerMashTunParts_1.jpg

MasTun_Pic1.jpg

MashTun_Pic2.jpg

MashTun_Pic3.jpg

DSmith --

Thanks for the schematic -- worked like a charm!

Picked the cooler up for $12 at Sports Authority, so I wanted to make it work.

Gonna look into the styrofoam suggestion. Looking to use this for partial mashes sometimes, so taking up some of that extra space will be important.

Thanks for reporting on your mash tun build. The styrofoam disk really helps with the uninsulated lids for these beverage coolers.

Used it today...without the styrofoam, mostly because it wasn't handy. Instead, I just left it in the sun on this beautiful 90 degree day -- did the trick.

I'll have to get it together in time for fall and winter brewing.

Back