Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon buckets at Lowes, OK?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
85 Haro Designs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallon buckets at Lowes, OK?

I know that the "Ale Pail" buckets contained in homebrewing kits are PET or foodgrade plasic.

Does anyone know if the Lowes / HD pails are also PET plastic?

If not, could they at least be used for a sanitizing pail for bottles and equipment if properly cleaned first?

Is anyone else using something other than an "ale pail" for sanization station?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The orange ones at HD are not food grade PET plastic, so are not good for fermentation.

I believe you could use them for a utility pail for santizing, etc.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I use one for a bottling bucket...but wouldn't use it for a fermenter. THere is some info on another Homebrew forum which will remain nameless, where someone called HD corporate and talked to someone in the plastics department there, and they confirmed that indeed, even though they are not labled so, that they are food safe.

I wouldn't trust the orange ones to save my life though. I bought the locktite semi-clear bucket with the gallon increments on it from HD for under 5 bucks...

Just make sure the bucket is really OVER 5 gallons...the Locktite one says that it is 5 gallons at the third ridge down from the top of the bucket. The white one from lowes looks like it is 5 gallons at the top of the bucket...not good if you need to lift your bucket to the top of the table after you've racked to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's the price on those HD buckets? My LHBS sells the plastic fermenter buckets for $10, I can't see risking a batch of beer to save a couple of bucks... but that's just me...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Neighborhood bakeries have food grade 5 gal. buckets, and I 'm sure some could be had for a couple of dollars. Should be rather neutral, unlike pickle buckets and such.

Mine has them, and also has 3- gallon ones, with poor lid seals though..

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

10 bucks is a lot for some people, like college students and such...

they're 15 bucks plus spigot at my LHBS...Back when I got my kit they were out of bottling buckets...it was the owner of my shop and my nephew (an award winning homebrewer) who took me next door to Lowes and picked out the right bucket for me. It was 5 dollars. And I trust them...plus for bottling it's only touching the brew for about an hour...and like I said after I bought it and before I decided to use it I researched the safety of it...a lot of talk about it...and the chemist on the other HB forum who talked to the guy at HD corporate and got the confirmation that it was indeed safe was what sold me...Plus the big comfy handle makes it a lot easier to lift than my fermentaion bucket...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears
Neighborhood bakeries have food grade 5 gal. buckets, and I 'm sure some could be had for a couple of dollars. Should be rather neutral, unlike pickle buckets and such.

Mine has them, and also has 3- gallon ones, with poor lid seals though..

Definitley don't use pickle buckets...

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If a $7 price difference is going to make or break you, I don't think this is the hobby you're looking for. I don't like to chase anyone away, but with shortcuts like this, it's only a matter of time before you try recapping Bud bottles with the original caps and sweeping up your dry yeast with bird feathers.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[youtube]-msczZsLgjk[/youtube]

CRAIGTUBE!

You can use garden hose for racking too

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If a $7 price difference is going to make or break you, I don't think this is the hobby you're looking for. I don't like to chase anyone away, but with shortcuts like this, it's only a matter of time before you try recapping Bud bottles with the original caps and sweeping up your dry yeast with bird feathers.
When you're a college kid (like the one who started a thread last week asking for advice to enter the hobby cheaply.) Or un employed, 7 bucks on any given time can be a hell of a hit...especially with gas over 3 bucks a gallon...

I know I was unemployed for nearly a year...It wasn't very fun to try do decide on spending a couple bucks on doing something that would make you happy for a little while or buying a necessity like gas.

I don't think doing something that a lot of us have done (use a bucket from home depot recommended and chosen by the owner of an LHBS who started the first store in michigan 30 years ago, to bottle in ) is the same as recapping bud bottles or sweeping yeast with bird feathers...geez talk about welcoming someone to a new hobby.

We don't need all the latest whizbang toys to brew good beer...It's been done for a couple thousand years on a lot less...with no hydrometers or immersion chillers and the fact that the brewing industry is what it is, and having started with open fermentation and airborn yeast, I'd say that the early beers must have been alright, else brewing would have gone the way of the dodo...

7 bucks is 2 packs of hops nowadays. If I had to chose between a bottling bucket from the LHBS and a couple packs of Centennial...I'd choose the centennial in a heartbeat. Or it's the gas to get to the LHBS...

Quick Reply