LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
feedbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 5 Dollar Carboy

So, I was helping my dad move into is new house today and when we got there the current homeowner had all his stuff laid out to take out of the place. The first thing I spot is a pristine 5 gallon glass carboy! I asked the guy if he wanted to get rid of it and he said he would let it go for 5 bucks! It's in great shape and only needs to be cleaned. I saved around 25 dollars. Just wanted to share my happy story!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Nice score

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Make sure you inspect it very carefully, and be careful when using it. I'm speaking with experience.

Nice find though.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great find. I got 24 of them for $6 each a couple of years ago.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
Make sure you inspect it very carefully, and be careful when using it. I'm speaking with experience.

Nice find though.
Ouch I just read this thread you posted and it dosen't sound like a happy brewing experience. Was there any sign that it was going to break? What would you look for if you were buying a used carboy. Makes me want to get better bottles but I like the inert nature of glass. Hope you are doing better.

I would have bought the $5 carboy without hesitation. Good job!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As Napolean Dynamite would say....."Luckyyy"

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

mnm, I'd carefully look at it to see if there are any imperfections in the glass. I have one with a small bubble in the side, but I've used it for several batches. The one I was cleaning didn't have anything noticeable before I racked the beer into it, but I may have done something to it while the beer was in it. I was using it as a secondary, and the beer was in it for about three weeks. Who knows? It could have just been a week spot that I never saw. I have no idea whether that one was one of the new ones I bought new, or one of the used ones. I have two 6.5 gal that I bought new, and had three 5 gal I bought used, and two that were new. I'm down to four 5 gal, and not going to be buying any more.

I get this damn cast off tomorrow, but I still have no feeling in my index finger. The middle finger and thumb have numb areas, but they are doing much better. The doc said it could take up to a year for it to heal completely, but I may never regain full feeling. Physical therapy will be a long process.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:

I get this damn cast off tomorrow, but I still have no feeling in my index finger. The middle finger and thumb have numb areas, but they are doing much better. The doc said it could take up to a year for it to heal completely, but I may never regain full feeling. Physical therapy will be a long process.
The standard (most quoted) rule of thumb is that nerves grow back at about a rate of 1mm/day. So it can take a while but hang in there. If you start to feel burning sensations this is often from nerve regrowth. Sounds like you damaged your median nerve since your thumb, index and middle fingers are involved. Sorry for your injury...... at least you can say you're a seasoned and scarred homebrewer now. Kind of like a gangster taking a bullet for the scar.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
mnm, I'd carefully look at it to see if there are any imperfections in the glass. I have one with a small bubble in the side, but I've used it for several batches. The one I was cleaning didn't have anything noticeable before I racked the beer into it, but I may have done something to it while the beer was in it. I was using it as a secondary, and the beer was in it for about three weeks. Who knows? It could have just been a week spot that I never saw. I have no idea whether that one was one of the new ones I bought new, or one of the used ones. I have two 6.5 gal that I bought new, and had three 5 gal I bought used, and two that were new. I'm down to four 5 gal, and not going to be buying any more.

That really sucks, and I'm sorry to hear what you're still going through with that injury. Just a word of hope: I had a procedure done nearly two years ago on the inside of my lower lip (I had a busted saliva gland removed--too much fight club I guess. )

After the surgery I had no feeling on the entire left side of that lip for well over a year, and I figured it would never come back. However, in the last few months it has finally started to get feeling back, and today it almost feels 100% normal again. This has been about 21 months since the procedure. It can be a long process, but I'm living proof that nerve type recoveries can just take a while...

Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
zman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just bought 2 for $15 ea yesterday and got two 1g growlers for a buck a piece. Now I do not have to go and get a 2000ml flask for starters.

Retail is for suckers...lol

Quick Reply