Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 or 6 gallon carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
kboogie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 or 6 gallon carboy?

Just getting into brewing and moving beyond the initial kit. Looking at some glass carboys, curious to hear folks thoughts on 5 vs 6 gallon sizes. Too much head space in a 6 gallon carboy for most 5 gallon recipes? Do most 5 gallon recipies go over a little, will I appreciate the space?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 118

My opinion would be to look at Better Bottles instead of glass. My first carboy was glass. I don't use it anymore. They are heavy, slippery, and can be dangerous if dropped. There are some threads on here talking about this. Better Bottles are cheap, durable, and easy to clean. They're made from food-grade plastic.

As far as size, I ferment in a 6 gallon carboy, and If I secondary I use a 5-gallon carboy. That would be for a 5-gallon batch. You need the extra head space during initial fermentation to prevent a blowoff, so a 6.5-gallon carboy is used. Of course you can always use a bucket as well.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy
My opinion would be to look at Better Bottles instead of glass. My first carboy was glass. I don't use it anymore. They are heavy, slippery, and can be dangerous if dropped. There are some threads on here talking about this. Better Bottles are cheap, durable, and easy to clean. They're made from food-grade plastic.

As far as size, I ferment in a 6 gallon carboy, and If I secondary I use a 5-gallon carboy. That would be for a 5-gallon batch. You need the extra head space during initial fermentation to prevent a blowoff, so a 6.5-gallon carboy is used. Of course you can always use a bucket as well.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
kboogie
Recipes 

Good advice, thank you gents!

Quick Reply