Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 40 Qt vs 60 Qt pot for 5 Gal batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default 40 Qt vs 60 Qt pot for 5 Gal batches

It's my anniversary this weekend, 12 years. My gift is getting to spend 100 bucks on brewing equipment!

I've been planning to buy a 40 Qt pot. (I use a 5 Gal MLT) But I'v got my doubts, and think maybe I should go with a 60 Qt. 40 is great for anything below 1.065 or so O.G. I just got through formulating a Wee Heavy which will be about 1.088 in gravity. In order to get peak effeciency I would need to boil quite a bit of wort, pushing a 40 Qt pot's capacity.

So the question is:
Are there any drawbacks to using a 60 Qt pot for brewing something like a Mild with an O.G. of 1.036 where I'm only putting 5.5 Gals. into the kettle for a boil? (just seems odd putting 22 quarts into a 60 qt pot)
Should I just forget it and go with the 40 Qt or buy the 60 Qt and then I'll be able to brew most 10 Gal batches in the future?

A decision must be made!
Thanks,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

No bad points...more space = better!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If the 60 qt pot is wider, your boil losses will increase slightly due to increased surface area. Otherwise, there aren't any disadvantages.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you have the slightest inkling to do 10 gallon batches, go with the 60QT. It will be fine for 5 gal. batches, along with what Yuri stated.

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

You make some good points... Any wories other than increased evaporation loss?

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Increased evaporation loss just means doing a little extra sparging, which means being able to get more sugars.
Plus being able to answer the phone without worry of a boil over, being able to move to 10gal batches.
This is I think a case of "bigger really is better", as long as the cost does not bust your budget I don't think you will be thinking it was a mistake on your death bed.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
Increased evaporation loss just means doing a little extra sparging, which means being able to get more sugars.
Plus being able to answer the phone without worry of a boil over, being able to move to 10gal batches.
This is I think a case of "bigger really is better", as long as the cost does not bust your budget I don't think you will be thinking it was a mistake on your death bed.
I was thinking of going with the 40 to begin with as If I do go to 10 Gal batches I'll have the 40 to heat sparge water in/HLT.

Nope, probably wouldn't consider it a mistake on my death bed! Thanks for the input guys! I'll toast all your help tonight with an Ole Speck Hen tonight after anniversary dinner with swmbo.

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
So the question is:
Are there any drawbacks to using a 60 Qt pot for brewing something like a Mild with an O.G. of 1.036 where I'm only putting 5.5 Gals. into the kettle for a boil? (just seems odd putting 22 quarts into a 60 qt pot)
Two insignificant possibilities:

Since there is more mass that it would take longer to heat/cool a larger pot. Might use more propane as greater pot surface area could radiate more heat away.

I just got my keggle cut done this week. I rarely do any batches that are over 1.050 gravity / 7gal , but I think it will be nice to have the extra room.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Heck, I do partial boils in my 80 qt. pot. Doesn't even come up to the thermometer. I have a 30 qt. pot, but it's much thinner, so it's just a HLT these days.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
MixnMatchBrew
Recipes 

Immersion chiller coils might not be covered with a deeper pot and small volume

Quick Reply