The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 3 Tier Tree Sculpture Plans?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew View Post
Aluminum, think it's 1" square; hollow in the middle but don't recall the thickness. Some guy at my work did all the welding for me which he does for his job. Materials were from work as well. Lighter in weight but still plenty strong. It's been pimped up a little more since that pic with pump and diamondboard.

What is the pump for ? Is this a RIMS system ? Could you batch sparge with this setup ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #12
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
What is the pump for ? Is this a RIMS system ? Could you batch sparge with this setup ?
To control sparge flow for one. Input to the pump from the mash is pushed into the boil kettle with the pump. Flow is controlled from boil kettle ball valve. And when it's time to put to fermenter I pump it thru chiller / aeration tube by changing quick connects.

I don't do batch sparge. It's one of those you do one or the other kinda things . Plus I was told of a shorter rest approach (30min) with 90 min sparge @ same rest temp from a brewpub brewer and just kind of stuck with it. I'm in no hurry when I brew

PS - it wouldn't have to be any tier if I bought a second pump where I could pump HLT to mash but gravity is fine for me... and gravity is how I started with this setup and don't feel like rebuilding the frame. But gravity locks up sometimes where the pump gives the umpfff to keep the flow going from mash to kettle.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks -

I may be getting a 3 tier system and some other items from a dearly departed brewer..have never used a gravity system or done fly sparging ..

the pump makes sense now.. do u fill the hlt on a ladder or use a pump/hose ? Sounds like your fly-sparge time is abt equal to a typical batch sparge session..

I use a 10g cooler as HLT now, and fill using food grade hose..heat w/bucket heaters..another cooler is mash tun..gravity fed to BK it made such a difference not having to slog all that water - just turn the faucet then turn it off..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 04-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #14
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

To fill HLT I use an RV hose (the white ones, for drinking water) from outside water faucet that also runs through a carbon filter. I do hop on the ladder to look at where the water level is at since I haven't had the motivation to add sight glasses to my kettles yet.

New hobbies have deferred brew gear expenditures . And what I got works for me now.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I never thought of the RV hose - good idea....is the carbon filter required ?

when you drain from the HLT to the MLT for the mash, how do u tell how much has been drawn off with no sight glass (maybe it is on the MLT ?)

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
I never thought of the RV hose - good idea....is the carbon filter required ?

when you drain from the HLT to the MLT for the mash, how do u tell how much has been drawn off with no sight glass (maybe it is on the MLT ?)
Because of no glass, I actually remove the sparge arm, measure the h20 into the MLT with a 1g pitcher, stir etc to get to rest. During sparge I measure @ the boil kettle with sharpie marks on it.

As for the carbon filter, depends on your water but they're about $15-20 at an RV store that screw right onto garden hoses (male/male on filter). So I have the filter in-line with two hoses via splice of 1 20' rv hose.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DesertBrew,
How is hte aluminum holding up? I have been looking into building my own brew stand but debating between Steel, SS, and Aluminum. My uncle has a welding shop so I have a choice of what to use.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
DesertBrew,
How is hte aluminum holding up? I have been looking into building my own brew stand but debating between Steel, SS, and Aluminum. My uncle has a welding shop so I have a choice of what to use.
Holds up great and it's not a tank to move around. Was thinking about putting a small 4 cyclinder engine on it with a steering wheel and take it on the road. Really though, zero problems with thickness of material used holding 12+ gl. A pro with aluminum welding would confirm no probs

Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Leukass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
A cooler MLT really doesn't dictate the shape. You could go with something like mine, desertBrew's, or Dude's, or any other various shapes.

Here's my finished product. The dimensions are really simple. There's 24" between the levels and 10" between the forks of each tier. The base is ~ 3' x 4'. I had never welded before and it was really simple to put together.

Here's a schematic for desertBrew's.

And his finished product.

Here's Dude's. He used to use a cooler MLT, but I thought I remember reading that he may be going to a SS MLT instead. Anyway, here's a pic of his.

Really old post - but lil sparky do you have any plans or a cut sheet for your tree system?

Thanks

Quick Reply