Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 3 minute duty cycle on compressor too short?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
scone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default 3 minute duty cycle on compressor too short?

I just installed a fancy new 7 cu. ft. freezer to use as a full time fermentation fridge. It's got 6 gallons of lager in it fermenting at 51F. The freezer seems to cut on every 45 minutes or so, but only for 3 minutes. I've got the tolerance set at 1C, should I raise it to get a longer duty cycle, or is it ok for the compressor to run for such a short amount of time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Not sure if that's a problem. My freezer kicks on for about five minutes every hour or so.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My gut feeling says that 3 minutes run time is fine. It's more of a problem when it's only been off for 3 minutes and tries to kick back on.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

IIUC, the off time between runs on the compressor should be at least 5 minutes. More is better. sounds like you are running that compressor to death to get it to keep up with your 1 degree differential.

I have mine set to allow a 3 degree swing from setpoint, and have a fan circulating the air inside the box, and the compressor runs twice a day for about 10 minutes.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
scone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
IIUC, the off time between runs on the compressor should be at least 5 minutes. More is better. sounds like you are running that compressor to death to get it to keep up with your 1 degree differential.

I have mine set to allow a 3 degree swing from setpoint, and have a fan circulating the air inside the box, and the compressor runs twice a day for about 10 minutes.
Methinks you misread my post. My time between runs is ~45 minutes. I'm more concerned about the short "on" time.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Methinks you misread my post. My time between runs is ~45 minutes. I'm more concerned about the short "on" time.
Maaaaybe, if all it takes is 3 minutes to get the degree change back, then so be it. It's short cycleing the down time that trashes the compressor.

Still, a 3 degree change (I think) is negligible.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
scone
Recipes 

I've never quite gotten around to installing a thermowell on anything, so I don't really know the effect of my temp swings on the fermentation. Does a three degree shift still result in stable fermentation temperatures? My swing is set to 1C, but in reality it's more like 1.6C since the temp keeps dropping even after the compressor shuts off for a little while. I do try to insulate the temperature probe against the ambient temperature by taping it to the fermenter and covering with bubble wrap....

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone
I've never quite gotten around to installing a thermowell on anything, so I don't really know the effect of my temp swings on the fermentation. Does a three degree shift still result in stable fermentation temperatures? My swing is set to 1C, but in reality it's more like 1.6C since the temp keeps dropping even after the compressor shuts off for a little while. I do try to insulate the temperature probe against the ambient temperature by taping it to the fermenter and covering with bubble wrap....
Neither have I. My probe is under a piece of foam taped to the side of the carboy.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Ahhh. I always forget I have an in-fermenter thermowell.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Also, my five minute every hour or so time is on a keezer with just a wood, no insulation, collar and the probe is just measuring air temp. My fementation fridge, where I tape the probe on the side of the bucket and insulate with foam, doesn't come on that often, maybe every couple of hours.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply