HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 3 Gallon Carboy Dimensions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
johnnydrama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3 Gallon Carboy Dimensions?

Hello all,

I've done a handful of extract brews, and I've decided to start doing smaller 2.5 gallon batches for a number of reasons, including wanting to do a full boil on an electric stove, and being able to brew more often.

My question is, does anyone know the dimensions of a 3 gallon carboy? I'd like to be able to put it inside of the big cooler I have for fermenting without having to modify it. Being a student, I need a cheap quick and low tech way to control fermentation temps, and using a cooler my parents already own seemed like a good idea. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
FullDraw

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've got two here. I measured the box, so there is a tiny bit of wiggle room.

9.5" square (Diameter ever so slightly less) , 17 inches high. Plus 6 inches for the airlock.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Are you talking about the 3 gallon glass carboys, plastic water bottles or 3 gallon better bottles?

The better bottles are square.. I have seen and used two different sized 3 gallon water jugs for small batch fermentations, one brand is short and squat, and looks like a traditional 5 gallon better bottle/water bottle only squat, and the other is tall and narrow.....

I am at work, so I can't measure them...sorry.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
johnnydrama
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I think a 3 gallon with an airlock may be a bit close height wise, I'm considering just putting them in three one gallons.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

You mean thos style wouldn't work for you?

THey are pretty squat.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
JAG410
Recipes 

Rough measurements of a 3 gallon glass carboy:

9" diameter
12.5" to shoulder
16.75" to top
20.25" to top of inserted 3pc airlock with universal stopper

Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Remember, you don't NEED to use an airlock, you could go with a blowoff tube instead, or do like what a lot of people are trying and using tinfoil instead of an airlock or blowoff tube.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
westernbacon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Remember, you don't NEED to use an airlock, you could go with a blowoff tube instead, or do like what a lot of people are trying and using tinfoil instead of an airlock or blowoff tube.
Why wouldn't you use an airlock?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
holden
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That's what I do. I have a 3 gallon better bottle. It is just a bit too tall for my mini-fridge that I use for fermenting, so I just use a small little hose as a blowoff tube and it fits perfectly.

Here's a picture from a 1.5 gallon brew I did a while ago:

(Don't worry, I pushed the tubing into the liquid after taking the picture)

As you can see, an airlock wouldn't fit in there, but with the blowoff tube it fits perfectly.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernbacon View Post
Why wouldn't you use an airlock?
He couldn't fit in his cabinet.

Remember, an airlock is just a vent, a valve to release excess co2 to keep your beer in your fermenter and not on your ceiling. It's not a magical fermentation gauge. It's a way to let co2 out without letting microbes in. It's not "necessary" for beer to ferment-the yeast doesn't know whether there is an airlock above it or not, it just makes beer and farts c02.....

Some people cover their fermenters with trays or pieces of plexiglass, or put their bucket lids on loosely, or use tinfoil or plastic wrap, or blowoff tubes. Northern Brewer or Midwest supplies just came out with a little rubber bleeder valve thingy that does the same thing on buckets without needing all the superficial plastic.

Holden, that looks great!!!!

Of course for a gallon and a half brew you could get one of those 2-2.5 gallon "montana jars" like this;

From here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/tepache-200053/

And here's info on turning one into a fermenter...

2 1/2 gallon Montana Jar Fermenter

Of course the metal lid in the one from the thread (from target) is important for making an airlock grommet space. Can't easily do it with a glass top.

Quick Reply