Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 29"x29" MoreBeer BIAB Bag $5.50

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

This is the stitching along the bottom. Similar to the stitching along the sides

image.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is a weave comparison to a paint strainer bag. Paint strainer bag (bottom) seems thinner and doesn't look like it would filter out as much as the MB bag. The weaves are distinctly different and the MB bag feels thicker. Same or similar material though

image.jpg  

Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And finally here's a pic of it in use. I have a 10 gal megapot which is very wide and I had no trouble fitting this around the brim, there was a ton of excess on the edges (width) and from the top to the bottom of the kettle (height).

And 3 different sizes of binder clips will get you crazy high efficiency. Speaking of which I netted a 75% efficiency with this bag according to ibrewmaster

image.jpg  

Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Vellum
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey there, I have a 15 gallon megapot with a 19 inch diameter. I did the circumference of a circle formula along with the outside edge of the bag and it appears that this bag would work for me. My question for you is how wide your 10 gal pot is just for comparison to mine. I just want to make sure I did my math right with a gut check comparison to your pot. I hope that all made sense.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellum
Hey there, I have a 15 gallon megapot with a 19 inch diameter. I did the circumference of a circle formula along with the outside edge of the bag and it appears that this bag would work for me. My question for you is how wide your 10 gal pot is just for comparison to mine. I just want to make sure I did my math right with a gut check comparison to your pot. I hope that all made sense.
The diameter of my 10 gal megapot is about 16 3/4" and 21" from handle to handle. I was easily able to drape the bag over the edge of the handles and down the sides so you should have no problem wrapping the bag around your kettle as there was plenty of space as shown in the mash pic above.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Vellum
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Perfect, thanks so much for checking. I just upgraded my pot and now my bag doesn't fit it. When you listed the dimensions for this bag it sounded too good to be true. It'll be in my next order. Thanks again for all the good info.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No prob! Hope this gets you going

Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update: third batch with this bag, no signs of wear yet

Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
mervmurry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for posting this. I found this thread from your review on MoreBeer. What did you use at the bottom of your pot to prevent scorching? Or did you simply suspend the bag with the binder clips to keep the bottom of the bag from touching the bottom of your pot? If that is even possible :-). Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervmurry View Post
Thanks for posting this. I found this thread from your review on MoreBeer. What did you use at the bottom of your pot to prevent scorching? Or did you simply suspend the bag with the binder clips to keep the bottom of the bag from touching the bottom of your pot? If that is even possible :-). Thanks again!
Cool. I've tried a couple of different things.

These pics in this thread are of first use when I used the binder clips to keep the bag from direct contact with the bottom of the pot and to keep the bag from falling into the kettle (I find the drawstring alone is not enough for me especially if you like to stir during the mash like I do).

My second batch I used a bungee cord to do the same thing. I got tired of finaggling around with the clips with the lid. Bungee cord is the way to go for sure. Again to keep the bag from falling all the way into the kettle and to keep the bottom of the bag from sitting directly on the pot.

My third batch this weekend I wanted to test if it would be OK to have my bag touching the kettle, so I used the bungee cord JUST to keep the bag from falling all the way into the kettle. The bag had direct contact with the bottom of the pot to raise my strike water temp and during the mash and mash out. I thought I'd at least get some yellowing or browning of the bag but after washing it and drying it out it was as white as everywhere else. No burning.

I have a clad bottom stainless pot (MegaPot) that has sandwiched aluminum on the bottom if that helps.

Quick Reply