Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 23 Tip Jet Burner problems
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
I use the same burner for my 50 gl mash tun with the Honewell gas valve, no problem.

Did you install the LP kit for your Honeywell valve?
The first thing I had to do adjust the pressure, remove the cap and set the
correct pressure for your burner.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Josh
You should try this; Claudius is right. Take the cap off where you installed the spring and screw and play with some settings of the screw. I should have thought of this as I had to make some adjustments from the 11 turns.

KD

Edit: Oh wait; this was ont he burner without valves; never mind. You'll need this anyway when you get to those burners.
__________________

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis

korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sherpa FE's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 820
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

This is the burner that I got, it does not say if it is LP and LP or not.

Here is the only description for it.

WITH 23 COPPER JET TIPS, L.P. GAS AND 175,000 BTU. MADE IN CHINA

Although I did like this one in SS tips, they didnt have this last time.

kecab005-6a.jpg   kecab011-12a.jpg  
__________________
No matter how much money you THINK you are saving by brewing beer, you are still just pissing money away
Sherpa FE is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Longshot; make sure you don't have any pipe dope blocking your jets from when you sealed. I had this happen with a couple of jets I sealed. I assume this is not the case since you are getting flame from hp regulator, but 3" flame seems very low to me regardless. I get about a two foot flame without choking it down. Other than that, I think it has to be your jets are wrong, if you are sure your beam is pressure tight.

__________________

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis

korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #24
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Jinkies. Adjustable regulator at the tank. Genius. Might even lead me to unplug my jets and stop obsessively trying to fix little leaks and avoid having teflon pipe gunk on my fingers the day after every brew day...

I just looked up the specs for the ASCO valves that I've got and their max PSI looks well within the range to operate at the 0-30 or 0-60 PSI range of the adjustable pressure regulator.

Is there anything that I may be missing about running up to 60 psi of gas through a ASCO 8210G094 valve? They are listed as rated for 150 max PSI air or inert gas. Unless I'm missing something - I'm assuming I'm ok. I'd really like to avoid blowing myself up, though, so if anyone can think of anything I'd appreciate a shout out.

__________________
Gordie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
mrbowenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrbowenz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 795
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
Jinkies. Adjustable regulator at the tank. Genius. Might even lead me to unplug my jets and stop obsessively trying to fix little leaks and avoid having teflon pipe gunk on my fingers the day after every brew day...

I just looked up the specs for the ASCO valves that I've got and their max PSI looks well within the range to operate at the 0-30 or 0-60 PSI range of the adjustable pressure regulator.

Is there anything that I may be missing about running up to 60 psi of gas through a ASCO 8210G094 valve? They are listed as rated for 150 max PSI air or inert gas. Unless I'm missing something - I'm assuming I'm ok. I'd really like to avoid blowing myself up, though, so if anyone can think of anything I'd appreciate a shout out.
Thank you !,I was just about to unsubcribe to this thread

Think about the flow of gas here, if you can push gas at a variable rate (within the limits of your valves, and zero to 60 or zero to 30 psi ain't alot) you can idle any pressure you want, and I have (like Lonnie and others)a safety shutoff valve on the primary side of the pilot and the valve. To set this up correctly, idle those valves first, then regulate from the source. I can run my 18 tip Jet/wok burners from BIC lighter height to full out F18 Hornet jets safely, with just the right amount of BTU's, it also fixes the yellow flame issues so many people complain about, because they are not 02 starved. The Honeywell issue is simply another fine adjustment place in which you can adjust. I use STC valves, but this will work with all the valves most people use.

Here's a shot of the burners and valves on my setup:



Front:

__________________
mrbowenz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #26
hooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 57
Default

Thanks for the help mrbowenz, I ordered the 0-60 regulator today. I spent a frustrating morning trying to figure out what's wrong.

Prosit!!

__________________
hooks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #27
WBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,175
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

I have had lots of experience with propane and natural gas. The 23 jet burners are usually designed for "Natural gas" and are jetted for this. If you try to run LP the jetting sizes prevents them from burning properly.

Natural gas is very low pressure and so the holes that the gas comes out of are larger. If you run propane on this burner it will be rich regardless of the pressure used because the gas holes should be smaller in a jet burner (brass tip) for propane.

Get the correct LP jets (resize them) or it will not work as is unless you use "Natural gas".

__________________

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”


WBC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
hooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
If you run propane on this burner it will be rich regardless of the pressure used because the gas holes should be smaller in a jet burner (brass tip) for propane.

Get the correct LP jets (resize them) or it will not work as is unless you use "Natural gas".

I have already run propane on the burners,..... individually. They burn a nice blue flame... Just not enough gas flow to run all at once..
__________________
hooks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
mrbowenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrbowenz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 795
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
I have had lots of experience with propane and natural gas. The 23 jet burners are usually designed for "Natural gas" and are jetted for this. If you try to run LP the jetting sizes prevents them from burning properly.

Natural gas is very low pressure and so the holes that the gas comes out of are larger. If you run propane on this burner it will be rich regardless of the pressure used because the gas holes should be smaller in a jet burner (brass tip) for propane.

Get the correct LP jets (resize them) or it will not work as is unless you use "Natural gas".
That's correct, if you are trying to run LP on NG burners, make sure your using the correct fuel for the correct burners, most vendors including the popoular "topfoodservice" have both NG and LP burners, trying to fire a burner will present major problems if the fuel sorce is incorrect.
__________________
mrbowenz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #30
hooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 57
Default

I recieved the 0-60 regulator in the mail today and tried it on my Brutus, worked like a charm. Just make sure you turn the valve on the regulator down when you first light the burner or you will burn off your retinas...

__________________
hooks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
propane burner problems pava General Beer Discussion 13 04-22-2013 01:10 PM
Does a Natural gas burner pose the same problems a Propane burner poses? Endovelico Equipment/Sanitation 15 01-28-2011 05:48 PM
Help Me Understand the Process (2 burner setup BK & HLT, MLT insulated no burner) mplutodh1 Equipment/Sanitation 14 11-09-2009 01:00 PM
Burner Problems uechikid General Beer Discussion 2 09-12-2009 11:52 PM
burner problems thevalkrye Equipment/Sanitation 7 11-14-2008 02:48 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS