Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 200,000 BTU natural gas burner!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #51
tomroeder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Flow of natural gas

I had a problem with not having enough natural gas volume/pressure whatever to my brew stand. I needed 25' of hose to get from my gas hookup to the end of my garage. At first I tried the Charbroil brand, approved for natural gas hook up hose that you get from lowes, the real high dollar crap. I had to buy three sections of it. When I hooked it up, there was way too much pressure drop, so I bought 25' of 3/4" ID PVC flexible hose, and that big diameter ID hose took care of all my ills. You may want to try going bigger in size if you haven't already.

From the research I did, PVC is impervious to natural gas, unlike EPDM rubber, which is rated to have a severe reaction with natural gas. I know some people that do use rubber and have not had a problem though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #52
bengee
Recipes 

Default cast iron burner cracks easy

I bought one of these and it came cracked, with natural gas shooting out the bottom.

Tried to braze it but the thin cast iron just kept cracking under the heat pressure. I realize they're cheap but in a lot of brewing environments that kind of bad casting could be really dangerous: you don't notice a little crack on your burner that doesn't light right away on low gas pressure, and then you aren't watching the flame as it heats up the metal around it and the crack gets bigger and bigger until you have an open gas pipe on fire instead of a controlled series of jet burners.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #53
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaffected View Post
Plus NG is cheaper than LP, and no bother having to run to the store to refill a cylinder.
NG only has about 30-40% of the energy, per cubic foot of gas, of propane though. so if the price was 60-70% less, it would really be on par.

propane is compressible into liquid though, so you can fit more of it in a smaller space, which is why it is popular in portable tanks.

NG is also a greenhouse gas (if it is released without burning). propane is not classified as harmful to the environment.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #54
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
NG only has about 30-40% of the energy, per cubic foot of gas, of propane though. so if the price was 60-70% less, it would really be on par.
If you convert to an energy unit, the comparison is much easier. Currently, NG is ~1/2 the cost of LP, and LP is ~1/2 the cost of electricity, for the same amount of energy. $NG = 2*$LP = 4*$Elec (approximate, of course). It is easy to find comparisons in your favorite energy unit of choice.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #55
dongemus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The original unit is no longer available. DOes anyone have an opinion on this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Burner...pd_sim_sbs_k_7

Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #56
ryansanders
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Hey guys, how would one make use of these burners sans brew sculpture? Anyone know of any sources for small, floor stands that they can be mounted in? Or is everyone here a sculpture owner?

Quick Reply