Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 200,000 BTU natural gas burner!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 03:21 AM   #21
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Oh yeah, I'm going to weld up a simple brew stand out of angle iron for this weekend's brew. Since I only have one burner, and I want to have a hot liquor tank and a boil pot ready, I'm going to devise a simple mechanism to slide the burner from one pot to the other and back. Pics, of course, to follow!

I shouldn't have tapped that keg tonight...I'm in a GOOD mood!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #22
dhempy
Recipes 

Hey Yuri_Rage:

Like so many others, I've been admiring your handywork. Very nice indeed.
I built a system earlier this year and I'm still tinkering with it. I'm a bit more active on another board and rather than re-create everything here, I'll put the link:

http://www.brewcommune.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1282 <EDIT> Due to a Brewcommune Crash, this post was lost. I'll try to get another version up Dan </EDIT>

I used burners similar to those you used. I can say for sure that the ball-valves work wonders at controlling the flame. I also built a DHLT using a Ranco and an old furnace gas valve. Additionally, I also digitally control the HERMS / Mashtun side with a Ranco and a pump. It took a little bit of electrical doing to get things working properly (a relay was involved).

So far, I"m having a great time learning about AG brewing and about my system.

Enjoy yours!

Dan

P.S Another BrewCommuner has built a chilling system for his conicals, I'll post a couple of links on that thread too.

Last edited by dhempy; 07-31-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Link lost

Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhempy
I used burners similar to those you used. I can say for sure that the ball-valves work wonders at controlling the flame. I also built a DHLT using a Ranco and an old furnace gas valve. Additionally, I also digitally control the HERMS / Mashtun side with a Ranco and a pump. It took a little bit of electrical doing to get things working properly (a relay was involved).
Looks like you've been a bit busy yourself! Lucky you to have a brother with a great shop! Funny you should mention the Ranco temp controller - I just bought another one. I was going to use a single stage controller for my brew closet, but the weather's getting cold, so I upgraded to a two stage controller to manage both heating and cooling. That left me with a spare single stage unit (ETC-111000), so I plan on using that to control my RIMS system. I'm either going to manually control the heat of the recirculating tank and use the controller for the pump...or I'll do something similar to your setup and use it to control the burner. It'd be easier to digitally control the pump, but your furnace valve/controller is pretty slick.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
dhempy
Recipes 

Hey Thanks!

I've also got a couple of pretty talented friends including one that used to build / race Indy cars. A hint .. call your local HVAC shop and see if they'll let you into the boneyard where you can pillage a valve and the electronics. Fortunately, one of hte BC'ers works HVAC and we have a ready source.

Actually, I control two pumps and the gas valve with two Rancos. When my DHLT is "ON" I also circulate the pump so that the entire liquor system is at the the same temp (or close to it). For the RIMS side, the other Ranco controls BOTH pumps (hence the need for the relay) to circulate the liquor through the outside of the Chillus Convolutus and the wort through the inside.

One thing of interest .. I have two different thermowells and the one in the MT takes a bit longer to come up to temp ... so one of the nuances of brewing for me is to set temps that undershoot the target by a couple of degrees ... part of this is because I went with stainless (I tried to minimize copper in my system). FWIW this is something to keep in mind on your first brew session ...

Keep up with the cool projects ... I'm getting ready to do a stirplate!

Dan

Last edited by dhempy; 10-24-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey Yuri, this thing will be awesome next time the sun burns out and needs to be restarted.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #26
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

This thread dates back to 2006. I am beginning to research a brew stand that will use natural gas.

Anybody have an update to these burners? Are they good quality? Are there options out there I may want to look at?

I will be using a keggle. There is a customer comment about the largest burner being too large for a keggle. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just two 32 tip burners that I plumbed into my house's natural gas line and I love them. They put out more heat then you'll be able to use most likely so if you go this route, make sure you have a way to bring 'em down a bit.

32 Tip Round Nozzle Jet Burner - CHINESE WOK RANGES - RANGES - EQUIPMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I just two 32 tip burners that I plumbed into my house's natural gas line and I love them. They put out more heat then you'll be able to use most likely so if you go this route, make sure you have a way to bring 'em down a bit.

32 Tip Round Nozzle Jet Burner - CHINESE WOK RANGES - RANGES - EQUIPMENT
TY Cape

Did you need an additional regulator or does the one used by your home serve well? Also, did you add a natural gas ball valve to your brew rig for each burner?

I plan on designing my system for three burners but installing only two. The direct heat mash tun will wait.

Do you have any pics of your system?

What types of questions do I need to ask to get set up on home based natural gas safely?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I can say with 100% certainty that the 32 tip is too large for 10 gallons in a keggle. In fact, I personally believe the 23 tip is too big and the 10 tip is just right. Some folks might have luck with the larger ones but I have to wonder if gas pressure is playing into the whole thing. One thing to keep in mind is that all of these jet-tip burners are not very adjustable so don't think you can just dial the flame down. The alternative is the Hurricane burner with the Nat gas orifice replacement.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #30
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I don't use a regulator as the two gas valves I have regulate the gas flow for me... and nope, I don't have ball valves for each. I have a ball valve at the "spicket" that comes out of the wall and then I have a natural gas flexible hose with a huge natural gas-specific quick connect that plugs into my rig. It then branches off directly into two gas valves that then lead to two burners... one under my HLT and one under my BK.

... and I dial the flame down no problem by simply adjusting the screw on the top of my valves. They only need minor adjusting once in a while once they are set but mine can be dialed down no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply