Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2" x 2" x 1/16" mild steel for single-tier?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Dustin_J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2" x 2" x 1/16" mild steel for single-tier?

I'm looking to build a single-tier brutus-type stand, and I am wondering if 2" x 2" x 1/16" mild steel would be sufficient. Most of what I've seen has been 1/8" tubing, but that seems like overkill to me, especially since I'll probably be adding 2 vertical braces on both the front and the back of the stand to support the kettles. I've seen that Morebeer uses the 1/16" for their stands, but since I see so many recommendations for 1/8" here and so many people using it, I want to double check and get some additional opinions.

Also, I'd like to stay with 2" tubing because I have different types of keggles that are ~1" different in width, so the 2" tubing would give me some additional wiggle room for laying everything out on top.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Last edited by Dustin_J; 09-19-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: speeling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I see no problem with the 1/16" at all. My single tier stand is made of 2x2 galvanized tube that is 16 gauge, which is just about 1/16". And, my system is one barrel capacity - twice the std. half barrel keg system with twice the weight. Believe me...that stuff is plenty strong. My company makes steel buildings and components (including this tube).

Anyway, I have paid for an upgraded account (last week), so as soon as I get confirmed as a premium member, I will be starting a thread on the system build, and will post pics. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Ok, so I guess I am a premium member now....so I am gonna start the build thread! WooHoo!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Cool, thanks a lot Sleepy. I know homebrewers have a tendency to over-engineer a bit (that's part of the fun ), but I figured I should just make sure so that I don't have 12 gallons of boiling wort collapse on me or something.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Just make sure the casters aren't the weak link!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepystevenson View Post
Just make sure the casters aren't the weak link!
Well, I have four of these:

Caster 5". Total Lock Threaded Stem. Poly Wheel - eBay (item 110159346227 end time Oct-07-08 04:55:36 PDT)

They seem like they should fit the bill.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you'll be hard pressed to find 1/16 tubing that size, everything around here is 1/8. You'll probably pay a premium price for the thinner material. I say see what you can get locally and compare prices 2x2x 1/8 square tubing is a standard size and will probably be the least expensive option.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
you'll be hard pressed to find 1/16 tubing that size, everything around here is 1/8. You'll probably pay a premium price for the thinner material. I say see what you can get locally and compare prices 2x2x 1/8 square tubing is a standard size and will probably be the least expensive option.
Thanks for the heads-up. I Checked with the local supplier, though, and 1/16" = $2.25/ft, 1/8" = $3.85/ft. Looks like I'll give the 1/16" a shot.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If your using tubing 1/16th is just fine. If using angle I would go to 1/8th and call it good. Tubing derives a great deal of it's strength from the 4 sides spreading the force over a larger surface area and can actually be much thinner because of that fact. 2X2X.065 will yeild way more than enough strength to meet your needs with a nice safety margin built in. Good luck and don't forget the pics too.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
bja
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Good luck and don't forget the pics too.
Wheelchair Bob
Do you realize that this thread is 4 years old?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nope I sure didnt, it came uo somehow on my current activity /new post pages. The info still applies, but is definately a moot point for the OP. Wasnt looking at the dates either.
WCB

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Quick Reply