Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2 equipment questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
THEDIETZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 equipment questions

Ok first, I am just converting to all grain. I bought my parts to build my mash tun today. i will post pics when i am done. I also need to upgrade my Pot. I am deciding between a stainless steel turkey pot (which is not as wide diameter and taller) compared to a 35qt stainless steel stock pot(much wider and only 11" high)....which do you think would be a better choice???

second....since going to all grain from what i read a Ice bath will no longer be good enough for chilling my wort. Looks like i also need to buy a wort chiller. What is the main difference between stainless steel and copper wort chillers.....once again...what do you suggest!! thanks for the suggestions everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
popeiam
USBDT
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have no opinion on the stock pot but the biggest difference between copper and stainless is price, the standard seams to be copper.
welcome to all grain brewing kiss your extra money goodbye. (kidding)

????

Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Bigsnake
Recipes 

No real opinion on the pot but I'd probably go with a wider pot over tall and narrow. I'd actually just get the biggest one I could afford. I have an 8 gallon and wish I went larger.

For the chiller, if you want to look at it efficiency wise, the copper has a much better thermal conductivity than stainless steel. I also heard, I think it was from Midwest, that the copper chillers stay looking better than the Stainless steel ones. They're really easy to clean and get back to bright shiny copper with a little vinegar.

I'd consider making your own as you'll save a good bit of money. I wish I saw this thread before I bought a premade chiller. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/imme...l-video-60522/

Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll want more than 8 gallons to boil safely for all grain... if you boil off 1.5 gallons in an hour, you need 8 gallons for a 6.5 gallon batch... I'd go for atleast 10...

+1 on regretting the 8 gallon pot purchse.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Quick Reply