Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 gallon mini draft system - question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Slappy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use that mainly with my ciders. Very low psi bout 4 or 5. Just to dispense. Would not recommend using it with beer at maintenance pressures of 10 to 12. BUT. For what I use it for I like it a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
GamecockWayne
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

If I wanted to put half a brew in this and bottle the rest, would I have to carbonate them separate? Or could I just split the batch after I add the normal amount of bottling sugar?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockWayne
If I wanted to put half a brew in this and bottle the rest, would I have to carbonate them separate? Or could I just split the batch after I add the normal amount of bottling sugar?
You could split it. I brew 2.5 gal batches full time and fit 4 of these kegs in my fridge along with a 4 lb co2 tank in the middle of them. I use to prime them with 2oz of corn sugar and use a co2 cartridge to dispense but eventually bought a tank.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

You can split it. I would also second adding sugar to entire batch at the same time so it gets mixed evenly. If you do this right when you bottle, you will want to purge the air in the keg with some co2. (Since the keg now won't be full)

Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
GamecockWayne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
You can split it. I would also second adding sugar to entire batch at the same time so it gets mixed evenly. If you do this right when you bottle, you will want to purge the air in the keg with some co2. (Since the keg now won't be full)
Right - but does carbing in the keg require the same amount of sugar as the bottles?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Good question. I should have been more clear. For your bottles you are carbonating naturally, which requires some kind of sugar. My response assumed you would naturally carbonate the whole batch. In that case there is a correct amount of sugar to naturally carbonate the entire batch whether in the bottles or kegs. Most people that have a kegging system like to force carbonate their beer that is in a keg with co2. But the 16 gram cartridges don't have enough gas to carbonate the beer and then dispense it. If all you have is the cartridges, then I would mix the appropriate amount of bottling sugar for the entire batch. Fill the keg(s) and bottles then store all the beer someplace around 68 degrees. You don't want it cold because the remaining yeast will need to get active again and consume the sugar you added. This method requires more patience because you'll need to let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. When the keg is carbonated then put it in the fridge and use the co2 cartridge to dispense it.

When you fill your keg, you will want to purge any air that's in it. Just give the sealed keg a squirt of co2 with whatever system you have, then pull the relief valve, then repeat another 1 or 2 times.

If you have the co2 tank, typically 5#, and regulator, you can put the keg in the fridge, set the gas around 12-14 psi, and in a week it'll be ready to drink. No bottling sugar needed.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
GamecockWayne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
Good question. I should have been more clear. For your bottles you are carbonating naturally, which requires some kind of sugar. My response assumed you would naturally carbonate the whole batch. In that case there is a correct amount of sugar to naturally carbonate the entire batch whether in the bottles or kegs. Most people that have a kegging system like to force carbonate their beer that is in a keg with co2. But the 16 gram cartridges don't have enough gas to carbonate the beer and then dispense it. If all you have is the cartridges, then I would mix the appropriate amount of bottling sugar for the entire batch. Fill the keg(s) and bottles then store all the beer someplace around 68 degrees. You don't want it cold because the remaining yeast will need to get active again and consume the sugar you added. This method requires more patience because you'll need to let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. When the keg is carbonated then put it in the fridge and use the co2 cartridge to dispense it.

When you fill your keg, you will want to purge any air that's in it. Just give the sealed keg a squirt of co2 with whatever system you have, then pull the relief valve, then repeat another 1 or 2 times.

If you have the co2 tank, typically 5#, and regulator, you can put the keg in the fridge, set the gas around 12-14 psi, and in a week it'll be ready to drink. No bottling sugar needed.
Thank you for the details.

Quick Reply