Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 Gallon Mini Draft System from MWS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
kevinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default 2.5 Gallon Mini Draft System from MWS

I was thinking of getting one of these. How well do they work? Also, I realize that you need to use priming sugar to carbonate. My questions is once you "tap it" How long will the beer stay before it goes flat? Does the C02 maintain it?

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've got one from Midwest and another (not as good) from elsewhere. I've used each twice so far. I prime as I would for a bottle (actually, I like less carb so I cut back a bit) and leave at room temp for a minimum of 2 weeks. Then I put it in the fridge for a minimum of 1 week. I then add the CO2 and take a taste test.
Usually, it's fine at this point though I really suggest not touching it until after 2 weeks in the fridge.

I've had my stout in the keg for 6 weeks and my black ipa for 5. Both kegs went thru 2 of the 16 gram cartridges. I'm pleased with everything but the price but convenience has a cost.

I'm hoping to build or buy a kegerator in the next few months.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
theredbeard
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I currently bottle, and am thinking about getting one of these too. It would be useful for when you plan on downing quite a bit of beer in a short time period, like when you have a party or something.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
theredbeard
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I think they are only good for like 6 batches or something though. That would be the downside

Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredbeard View Post
I think they are only good for like 6 batches or something though. That would be the downside
If the OP means one of these, then that's not true. This is simply a 2.5 gallon keg.
No way would I spend $150 for 6 uses (I got mine cheaper)

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Yeah, if the link is correct, all you'd have to worry about is the co2 charger. Since they don't inject a set amount of CO2, I've heard you have to play around a little to make sure that you don't inject too much and overpower the short beer line. Otherwise, if you carb with priming sugar and make sure you use small amounts of co2 to push the beer, it should last a while.

Just having co2 in the keg should keep the co2 levels fairly accurate, at least at the beginning (less headspace to worry about). What you'll have to watch is that your beer will be carbed at a certain equivalent psi (ie 10psi), while the headspace might be different since you can't control it. If anything, I'd be worried about overcarbing the beer with a headspace co2 higher than the absorbed co2. Towards the end of the keg I could see a high co2 headspace concentration (ie 30psi) overcarbing a beer as it equilibriated with the liquid, but a little practice should let you maintain lower headspace levels and keep the carb roughly the same.

The nice thing about this is if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger system, everything but the co2 charger works the same. All you'd have to do is find a co2 tank and regulator (and a little gas line), and you'd be able to go from there. Plus you can save the co2 charger to take along on trips in case you decide you want to take a keg somewhere.

Quick Reply