New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 gallon keg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #31
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I'm going to order two of these. As I said in my earlier post, I have 12 TAD bottles and I like them just fine. They've been easy to work with and have stored well. This will give me a new option. I'm also about to remodel my basement and I may add a small bar. I've never wanted a bar in the basement and when the basement was being finished the first time, I specifically said no bar, but maybe a small walk-up bar with two little mini fridges housing two of these would be nice.

Tap 3: Empty

Primary: IPA
Secondary: soon to be IPA
Cold Conditioning: Vienna Blonde Ale
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #32
OntarioBeerKegs
www.OntarioBeerKegs.com
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post
Are these Chinese units NSF-51 certified (tested food grade)
These kegs are constructed of food grade materials. Just like your tupperware, march or chugger pumps and dishes. Just like all the Chinese kegs AB uses. Just like my Black and Decker Coffee Maker.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #33
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In spite of some initial reservations, I've had no issues with this keg and I'm going to order another one here soon. If you are looking for a smaller keg size this is about the most cost effective one around. Thumbs up for homebrewing.org.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #34
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Hey Guys, I have a question:
From reading a description of the these (on the Williams site, I think), it sounds like it is for natural carbonation. Do any of you filter and then force carb in these? Clogged plumbing always makes me nervous when naturally carbonating in a keg.

Tap 3: Empty

Primary: IPA
Secondary: soon to be IPA
Cold Conditioning: Vienna Blonde Ale
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #35
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cut off your dip tube an inch or so and add a dip tube filter & you should avoid clogs.
Also, the 3 gal. kegs from Beverage Elements are Italian made and the best for the money that I've found. I have 6 & no issues.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
megalomani
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Hey Guys, I have a question:
From reading a description of the these (on the Williams site, I think), it sounds like it is for natural carbonation. Do any of you filter and then force carb in these? Clogged plumbing always makes me nervous when naturally carbonating in a keg.
My plan was to force carb in a 5 gallon keg and then transfer via a jumper to the 2.5 gallon keg when I want to take my beer outside my home.

You could force carb in this keg if you do small batches (or bottle half of a 5 gallon batch). No reason to filter before force carbing, only the first few pours will murky. There is no reason to worry about clogged plumbing unless you dry hop in the keg with whole leaf hops.

You could naturally carb but I have never done that. Maybe if I didn't have CO2 tank I would do it. Cutting the dip tube is non-reversible and you may want the full length another time.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Is anyone using the new ones with the big handles in their rolling igloo cube Kegerators? I want to build one over the winter for vintage base ball and have been eyeing these kegs at adventures in homebrewing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anyone tried the plastic 2.5 gallon kegs? It would be nice if they made them for home brewers since they would probably be much cheaper.

http://www.pkamerica.com/content/section_kegs/index.html

Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
HootervilleHops
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Is anyone using the new ones with the big handles in their rolling igloo cube Kegerators? I want to build one over the winter for vintage base ball and have been eyeing these kegs at adventures in homebrewing.
No but I have two in a rubbermade 60 qt from Home Depot. It's cheaper and still has wheels and a telescoping handle. I like the twin lid also, my PVC tower is on the left side so I still have access to the right.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #40
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootervilleHops View Post
No but I have two in a rubbermade 60 qt from Home Depot. It's cheaper and still has wheels and a telescoping handle. I like the twin lid also, my PVC tower is on the left side so I still have access to the right.
Got a pic of your setup?

Thanks for the info.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply