Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 gallon keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
How tall is the keg with the ball lock fittings attached? I'm hoping it will fit in my fridge. Any update after using it a while?
I will have to measure it. It fits on the hump in my freezer quite well. I also have put it into the fridge, but I had to take out the top shelf for it to fit. I'll check back after I measure it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
SlickWilly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How are you liking this keg? Any updates? I'm thinking about buying one and I haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have been looking for smaller kegging options due to space. My wife has given consent for a smaller kegerator that can sit on a small table (i will be sharing an area with the dog). I have to keep the fridge small and the total weight light enough. With this said it looks like 2.5 gallon kegs win. They are so expensive, I am able to get a pair wholesale, but did see those, and was going to order a couple as back ups. I was worried at that price about quality, they are cheaper than the pair I am getting at wholesale.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
megalomani
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

SWMBO recently got me one from CornyKeg.com and don't seen any quality issues. The stainless is thin but it is strong and doesn't flex at all. Maybe could dent if you bumped it into something with enough force (not sure how much) but no dents with standard use so far. It is a bit wider than standard 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, in fact it is wider than 5 gallon cornys but it is also a little shorter than a standard 2.5 gallon keg. Weather or not this is an issue depends on your application.

I was interested in using in a portable Ice Cube kegerator as in this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/portable-igloo-cooler-kegerator-172047/ , unfortunately you won't be able to fit 2 kegs in an Ice Cube if using one of these (one fits no problemo). Since they are so short I am curious if two would fit in a standard roller cooler which has the width to accommodate but I am not sure if the depth would allow clearance for the lid to close.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
BrewHobby1
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by QsnotPs
funny you mention that about china, the companies I have worked for have ALL had the toughest time getting parts to fit from over there. Sure 1 part will get here ok, but if you need 2 parts to mesh up in any way, they screw it up. It is as if they have a fake factory you visit, then out source the lid to some other place, and the pot they make themselves..........just thought it was funny you saying that...
I have worked with Chinese sourcing parts. My experience is that they take longer to get it right, sometimes much longer. But, if you are patient, they will eventually. The coating on the keg concerns me. Some suppliers have poor history with food grade materials, as in heavy metal contamination like arsenic. Just ask McDonalds. I wonder if a welding shop could tell what the coating is?

Please keep us posted. Small batch brewing seems more attractive to me for beer variety and those 2.5's seem like they are too good to be true.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
megalomani
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The coating just seems to be on the lid, which doesn't have contact with beer so not worried personally. I am no expert but imagine I am exposed to much worse on a daily basis. Just opinion here

Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It's only 2 1/2 gallons, how long will the beer actually be in there? Just keep your fingers crossed and your life insurance premiums up to date.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
leftcontact
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112
I have been looking for smaller kegging options due to space. My wife has given consent for a smaller kegerator that can sit on a small table (i will be sharing an area with the dog)
Ladies and gentlemen , boys and girls; I submit we are witnessing the birth of Doghouse Brewing, inc. .

Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Guessing the coating you are seeing is not an actual coating, but electropolishing.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

megalomani Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #20
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski

I will have to measure it. It fits on the hump in my freezer quite well. I also have put it into the fridge, but I had to take out the top shelf for it to fit. I'll check back after I measure it.
We're you able to get a measurement on this?

Quick Reply