Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 gallon glass carboys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2.5 gallon glass carboys

local co-op has water in 2.5 gallon glass jugs/carboys for 6.99 plus $6 deposit = $13

i feel like it would be good for splitting up 5 gallon batches for different dry-hopping projects and whatnot, especially if i can get them to give up the bottles for $6 without the water.

opinions, please.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

why bother...nice idea maybe for a few. I use my ale pales for splitting batches to best different dry hopping and flavoring

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go for it!!! Get brewing!!

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 02-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

re: post 2, i'd bother because i can split batches on the cheap. i don't have an ale pail, i use better bottle carboys with spigots. i figure regardless of what i'm using for secondaries, these are cheaper than buying more 5 gallon carboys to achieve the goal of making 2.5 gallon batches of test beers, and easier to store and move.

re: post 3, thanks for the encouragement, but that's not all that helpful. i'm brewing, i've been brewing, and i'll continue to brew. i'm wondering if anyone has cheaper ideas for this goal or opinions that would nullify it.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

what about further scailing down and testing different stuff in 1 gal carboys. I have a bunch of 1/2gal carboys and have split a batch 4 ways in those and left the other 3 gallons as a control. alot of beer stores sell 1/2 gal "carboys" for $3

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would love a couple 2.5 gallons, just to be able to dosome 2.5 experimental batches. The only issue would be when racking to them from your fermenter, one may get more sediment in than the other. IM not sure if that would affect the flovor profile though.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 03-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28
what about further scailing down and testing different stuff in 1 gal carboys. I have a bunch of 1/2gal carboys and have split a batch 4 ways in those and left the other 3 gallons as a control. alot of beer stores sell 1/2 gal "carboys" for $3

interesting idea.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Last edited by slim chillingsworth; 03-01-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've got a couple of those that I use for apfelwien. I love 'em.

It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would recommend against basically stealing these carboys. they clearly can't replace them for $6 each. $6 is probably the fair price they decided on to encourage people to return them and not gouge on the deposit. if you go and buy the water, pay the deposit, and then keep the carboys to use as you please i suppose it's fair, but that's not really the issue. I'd check in with your karma before you decide to do this.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer
i would recommend against basically stealing these carboys. they clearly can't replace them for $6 each. $6 is probably the fair price they decided on to encourage people to return them and not gouge on the deposit. if you go and buy the water, pay the deposit, and then keep the carboys to use as you please i suppose it's fair, but that's not really the issue. I'd check in with your karma before you decide to do this.
i understand your point, but i feel pretty okay about this, to be honest. if they're willing to accept $6 for compensation, then they have done the math that will allow them to continue doing business. decisions like these are calculated to the fullest extent, assuming that people will forget to return those carboys or use them for other needs. how many people do you think refill carboys with filtered water for their water coolers? is that so bad?

it's a water distributor, their costs are probably pretty close to $6 on bulk, wholesale carboys. when you figure a carboy twice the size retails individually at around $25, it doesn't seem too far off for their bottles to float around that price.

how far does this argument go? is reusing glass bottles for homebrewing bad karma because of the bottle deposit/refund in some states/countries? do those bottles cost the distributors more than 5-10 cents each? it just seems silly.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Quick Reply