Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2 or 3 roller mill? MM or Crankenstein?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
carp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 2 or 3 roller mill? MM or Crankenstein?

I have a barley crusher that has about 1000 lbs on it and its starting to function poorly. The knurls seem less sharp and while prepping to brew the other day, it 'broke free' or slipped many many times over the course of 20 lbs.

I've read many of the threads comparing mills, and think I'll go with a Monster Mill. However I'd consider a Crankenstein if there are good arguments to do so, at similar cost as the MM.

I'm debating between the MM-3 with 1.5 rollers, or the MM-2-2, with 2" rollers.

I mill about 400 lbs of grain a year and expect to do so for the next decade at least. I want this mill to last 'forever'. I'll be driving it with a 1/2" low speed drill. I don't condition my malt, and I have had no trouble with rust on my BC stored in the garage, so stainless seems not to be a worthwhile option for me. I get around 85% efficiency with my BC, so am not looking to improve quality of crush. Higher output would be welcome, but I expect that even the slower of the two MM options will be somewhat faster than the BC.

So, what do ya'll suggest? And would you say that the $40 upgrade for hardened rollers is worthwhile?

Thanks
Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I'm interested. BC man here, occasional issues, still limping along with it.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Go with the MM2-2.0 with the hardened rollers option and it will last forever. I used mine for the first time last brew day (also picked up the base, hopper and hopper extension, so I can mill up to 39# without refilling). LOVE IT! The 6" long rollers are also a huge plus. The thing is built like it will take a direct hit from a tank and keep on cranking. Ok, maybe not, but the rollers will survive.

If you're thinking of going with the 3 roller model, get the 2" rollers there too, hardened of course. I don't think you'll live to regret getting either [Monster] mill. Meaning your kids, and/or grandkids will be using it when you're taking a dirt nap.

BTW, once I had my mill fully assembled, it truly lived up to the name "Monster"...

Also, I had a BC that I ran about 250# through. No real issues with it, but the Monster Mill is an entirely different class (far above BC)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Go with the MM2-2.0 with the hardened rollers option and it will last forever. I used mine for the first time last brew day (also picked up the base, hopper and hopper extension, so I can mill up to 39# without refilling). LOVE IT! The 6" long rollers are also a huge plus. The thing is built like it will take a direct hit from a tank and keep on cranking. Ok, maybe not, but the rollers will survive.

If you're thinking of going with the 3 roller model, get the 2" rollers there too, hardened of course. I don't think you'll live to regret getting either [Monster] mill. Meaning your kids, and/or grandkids will be using it when you're taking a dirt nap.

BTW, once I had my mill fully assembled, it truly lived up to the name "Monster"...

Also, I had a BC that I ran about 250# through. No real issues with it, but the Monster Mill is an entirely different class (far above BC)...
While I appreciate the genuine input, you've only used the product once. I'd like to also hear from someone who's used a their MM etc for an extended period of time...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

By extended do you mean almost a year? I have the MM3 but didn't buy the 2' rollers and it's the best thing ever.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
By extended do you mean almost a year? I have the MM3 but didn't buy the 2' rollers and it's the best thing ever.
That's compelling!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you sir, I'd say for the money MMs are the way to go. I did a lot of homework. the 2" is a little more than I need. I do about 600# a year and I'll be using this thing for ever. Top quality and construction. Plus they have dual concentric adjustment. Which means you can adjust the mill to the perfect grind as your equipment evolves.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 20

MM and Crankenstein are 99% identical due to their common "heritage". You can find the history of the firms/dispute on here and other forums.

MM is famous for fabulous support but CS also has good support from i read here.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's like saying knives are identical due to common heritage. Do you have an endorsement?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
zimman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 2 roller MM and have used it more than 30 times this past year. I have never had a problem with it. It's built like a tank. I did purchase the hardened steel rollers. Overall I am very pleased. Great quality and more importantly, great milling.

Cheers,

"Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

David Rains Wallace

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged:
Bottled:
Kegged Soda:

Quick Reply