Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 15 gallon pot - Concord vs Bayou Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just an FYI, the concord 80 qt is only like 13 bucks more than the 60 qt...not that you might need a kettle that large...but the 80 qt looks sweet for $113 shipped!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I went with the 80. It can do a 10 gallon batch of a heavy beer no problem.

As for the shipping question above, I got mine in under a week to NC. And when I unpacked them I was impressed with the quality. Having seen both the Concord and BC, I'd say I like the Concord better and they're a bit cheaper.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
slyk9
Recipes 

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be going with the 15 gal Concord and some weldless fittings from Brew Hardware. After that a larger chiller... then maybe a pump... and a conical.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Another thing if you're using them for a mashtun: The Bayou Classic has a lip up at the top for steamer-baskets to rest. So when buying a false-bottom you have to spend an extra $10 or something and get one with a hinge. Or you could cut into the lip. And in that same vein, if you are doing BIAB you can buy the steamer-basket which is nice and helpful.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Rich_S
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My 15 and 20 gallon Concord pots just arrived today. Construction is very sturdy, heck they look a lot like my Blichmann. They were also packaged very well. Will be drilling them out this weekend.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
kjfarwell
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Thanks!

Thanks for this post...I'm ready to go AG and been debating between BIAB and 3 Tier for 3-4 months lol. Finally made the BIAB decision and I'd really like to get this: [URL="http://spikebrewing.com/collections/15-gallon-stainless-kettles/products/15-gallon-stainless-sight-glass"] but it has a hefty price tag. I'm leaning towards the concord with basket..I have a buddy that I'll have him weld 4 SS pieces as legs for the basket...at least that is what I'm toying with.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #17
PAjwPhilly
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default my 2ȼ

I have a 10 gallon BC pot that I frequently use and I have had no issue with it. I do agree that the stamping might be slightly harder to clean but it isnt an issue with me.

I have just recently bought a 20 gallon Concord pot for group brews (1-2 friends joining in)... I have not drilled it out yet, but I just bought the bit and files today. Wish me luck. I am a noob with tools.

As far as differences....

1. Maybe the steel is a little thicker on the Concord, but I really cant tell since its such a bigger pot.
2. My BC has welded handles versus the Concord's riveted.
3. My BC also has markings for volumes that I use as a rough estimate when preparing my sparge/strike water. The Concord does not.
4. I bought my BC with the thermometer and spigot already installed ~$200. And my concord was ~$90 with installation costing $75 ($40 drill bit and files + $35 spigot). So the concord was $35 cheaper for double the pot.

Hope this helps

Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAjwPhilly View Post
I have a 10 gallon BC pot that I frequently use and I have had no issue with it. I do agree that the stamping might be slightly harder to clean but it isnt an issue with me.

I have just recently bought a 20 gallon Concord pot for group brews (1-2 friends joining in)... I have not drilled it out yet, but I just bought the bit and files today. Wish me luck. I am a noob with tools.

As far as differences....

1. Maybe the steel is a little thicker on the Concord, but I really cant tell since its such a bigger pot.
2. My BC has welded handles versus the Concord's riveted.
3. My BC also has markings for volumes that I use as a rough estimate when preparing my sparge/strike water. The Concord does not.
4. I bought my BC with the thermometer and spigot already installed ~$200. And my concord was ~$90 with installation costing $75 ($40 drill bit and files + $35 spigot). So the concord was $35 cheaper for double the pot.

Hope this helps
$40 bit and files?? the files are probably not needed and a step bit is like $10.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
ineedit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for the concord. Have a 60 qt and installed a 5500 watt element. My only regret is that I didn't go for the 80 qt.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #20
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
Concord 60 qt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Qu...item2c6ba9e7df

$75.98 + $24 S&H = $99.98.

Bayou Classic 62 qt:

http://www.wayfair.com/Bayou-Classic...refid=SS314743

$115.54 with free shipping

From searching the forums, I see the Concord is slightly thicker (1.0 mm vs 0.8 mm) though some have questioned the quality of the Concord's steel.

Also, the Concord handles are riveted whereas the BC is welded, not sure which is better, but my Blichmann has the riveted plate handles.

Thoughts? The price is close enough I just want to know which one is better.
Just found this sale price - $130 which includes the basket and free shipping !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply