Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 15 gallon fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 15 gallon fermenters

i have been homebrewing for a few years now and was thinking of making a fermenter to sell and wanted to know if anybody would be intersted in something like this or not. it will be a 15 gallon food grade plastic fermenter, it will have a fully removeable lid for cleaning, a ball valve in the bottom of the tank, and a valve on the top that you can switch out a airlock and a pressure hose so you can transfer the beer under pressure to avoid picking up the entire thing. let me know what you guys think about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

I made a couple like this,
Food Grade Barrel, holds 14-15 gallons
gromet for airlock
ball lock gas fitting
Better Bottle Racking arm and valve
I have about $60 in it but $17 of that is because I bought a spendy adapter to add the ball lock fittting. Would do it different next time and save the $17

The one in the pic is in the garage with 12 gallons of Peanut Butter Porter @ 60º

Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where did you get that barrel? I would like to get a 12 gallon or so barrel like that for 10 gallon batches. Also, do you just use the gas fitting for purging oxygen?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I have the exact same barrel, SuperiorBrew. Works great for a primary! I just use mine the ol' fashioned way with an autosyphon. Helps that my brother and I brew together as that baby sure is heavy w/ 12 gals in it!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My friend started picking up a few 15 gallon barrels that bulk liquid malt extract comes in. Seems like they would work decent for a fermenter.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131
Where did you get that barrel? I would like to get a 12 gallon or so barrel like that for 10 gallon batches. Also, do you just use the gas fitting for purging oxygen?
I was planning on using it for transfering and purging but the racking arm works so good I never bother with it.
I use it all the time for 10g batches, i made a little larger batch this time because I am expecting more trub loss (PB Porter) and I want to split it and secondary half of it over some cocoa.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I was planning on using it for transfering and purging but the racking arm works so good I never bother with it.
I use it all the time for 10g batches, i made a little larger batch this time because I am expecting more trub loss (PB Porter) and I want to split it and secondary half of it over some cocoa.
Right on, so where does one aquire such a vessel?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
jtvinny

Recipes 

Superior Brew,
I would like to set a couple of these up as well. Where did you get the barrels?

Definition of an Irishman: "a complex mechanism for turning Guinness into urine." - The Stout Book by Brendan O'Brien

Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvinny
Superior Brew,
I would like to set a couple of these up as well. Where did you get the barrels?
I got these from Doug Bradford DBGRAMMLLC@aol.com they were $22 including shipping.

I email a couple times to get more and no response.

Some one else got this reply from him recently:

Quote:
Things have drastically changed here in our little company. Availability of the drums has decreased, and we now have to include all labor into the price. Sorry, but not my decision.

Consequently, at the moment we have only two buckets. The price is $37.00 each, which includes postage to your address via USPS. Sorry about the price increase, but I am not allowed to just get rid of the drums any more like I used to be able to do, so cleaning, wrapping, and sending someone to the post office has to be covered.

If you are still interested, please let me know. If I do not hear from you I will go to the next person who emailed us.

Again, sorry about the price and availability, but this is now out of my control. I will understand if you are not interested. But if you are, let me know and I will give you more details as to paying.

Regards,
Doug
There are a bunch of 9 gallon ones on ebay but no bigger ones that I can find right now.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My buddy scored the 15 gallon drums from outside the back of a LHBS. 0$. Just gotta clean out all the malt. I think he has snagged 4 of them so far. I have a few. I figured they would be good just as general containers for water or what not. They are HDPE. He also picked up a food grade 55 gallon drum this way. Not sure what that will get used for, he had hopes of making a lot of beer!

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Quick Reply