HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 15 gal conical I put together

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #131
prrriiide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

FWIW...

I just looked at the Chemical Resistance Chart for the large (>200gal) PE cone bottom tanks from US Plastic. It specifically mentions being beer resistant, as well as 100% ethanol.

It also lists butter, coffee, cola concentrates, corn oil, dextrose, milk, molasses, shortening, vanilla extract, vinegar, water, wines, and whiskey as other uses. So I guess there's no doubt that they're food-grade.

I see 2-3 of these in my near future...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #132
nfarrell1
Recipes 

Default Beware of plastic odor/taste!

I got my 15 gallon tank and have assembled a valve and drilled the hole for the airlock. When I opened it, I noticed a REALLY STRONG plastic smell. I washed it out and let it soak with oxy clean for a day, no change! I have read that a mixture of vinegar and baking soda with water and soaking for 48 hours will fix it. I will advise but I would NOT buy one of these until a fix is determined. I would have to say as-is we would be brewing a "plastic pail ale"

Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #133
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfarrell1 View Post
I got my 15 gallon tank and have assembled a valve and drilled the hole for the airlock. When I opened it, I noticed a REALLY STRONG plastic smell. I washed it out and let it soak with oxy clean for a day, no change! I have read that a mixture of vinegar and baking soda with water and soaking for 48 hours will fix it. I will advise but I would NOT buy one of these until a fix is determined. I would have to say as-is we would be brewing a "plastic pail ale"
When I purchased my first plastic conical (30 gal) from US Plastics I did notice some off gasing from the plastic. I left the tank outside for a few days and then soaked it in Starsan for a week. After the Starsan there was no "plastic smell" off gas at all. Since then I've had not problems at all with the conical.

If there was one problem with the 30gal version it's that it's too big to fit in my temp controlled fridge. Jan/Feb/March lagers are fine but after that it's fire and forget ales.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #134
SaltyHog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta525
I have a couple of these plastic conicals that i bought off someone in my homebrew club who never used them, so I'm not sure which manufacturer they came from.

As for the CO2 leakage though, when I first used them I also had problems with the CO2 leakage and having nothing coming up through the airlock. The beer turned out fine, but I was still concerned. So I got a tube of food grade lube and put a large bead around the top of the conical tank and screwed the lid down into it. So there's a slick mess around the rim, but none of it gets into the tank, and effectively seals the lid shut, so the airlock bubbles and nothing gets in. Hope that helps!
This works great! Second batch is bubbling away nicely. Thanks for the great tip!

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #135
lonepalm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got my tank today....was trying to sort out a part list for the valves....pretty clear on what i need for the bottom to release trub...but not quite certain for the added valve for bottling.

NM i got it..looks like 1/2"

Last edited by lonepalm; 04-25-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: found answer

Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #136
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Has anyone done anything to the inside of these at the outlet port? Mine has the huge plastic nut on the inside that creates a pretty big lip for the yeast to settle into, I was thinking of filling it with food grade sealant?

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Secondary: Gulden Draak, Peaches & Cream Belgian Tripel

Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #137
mikefromcu
Recipes 

I reposted my blog post on the valves and use of the cones at www.hessbrewing.blogspot.com. Look for the post, Conicalus for the Restivus.

Quote:
Has anyone done anything to the inside of these at the outlet port? Mine has the huge plastic nut on the inside that creates a pretty big lip for the yeast to settle into, I was thinking of filling it with food grade sealant?
Are you talking about the bottom port, or side port? If you bought the right version (FD - full draining, see my write up) there is no huge plastic nut at the bottom. If you are talking about the sideport, the round washer that holds the port in place (p/n is in the write up), there is no issues with build up and any sealant is overkill and unnecessary.

We have been using the cones for almost a year and have put over 75 batches through the conicals with ZERO contamination issues (or any other issues for that matter).

Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #138
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Mine looks like this, just like the one at the beginning of the thread. Yeah I am talking about the dump port. Looks like I didn't get the best option (sigh). Any ideas to improve what I have? It's an Ace 15 gallon.

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Secondary: Gulden Draak, Peaches & Cream Belgian Tripel

Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #139
hfmeehanjr
Recipes 

I see these in my future

Quick Reply