Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 12G conical fermenter plastic.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 12G conical fermenter plastic.

What is everyones thought on these? http://www.homebrew.com/shopping/static/CYL-002.shtml

The price is great but I'm wondering how much you have to worry about oxygen getting in? I see these a lot for wine, does it not matter as much for wine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have the risks here as with fermentation in a plastic bucket. Plus, it does not block light, may get scratched and harbor an infectious source.

For that price, save your $$$ and get a stainless conical.

My .02 worth.

As I discovered with my previous attempt at a thread on this topic, this was discussed back in March.

I think it boils down to what you want to spend, and if you are willing to take the risks with the plastic.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
You have the risks here as with fermentation in a plastic bucket. Plus, it does not block light, may get scratched and harbor an infectious source.

For that price, save your $$$ and get a stainless conical.

My .02 worth.

As I discovered with my previous attempt at a thread on this topic, this was discussed back in March.

I think it boils down to what you want to spend, and if you are willing to take the risks with the plastic.
Agree. My main concern would be with it getting scratched.

I use a plastic bucket for primary. It's very convenient and cheap...so if it does get scratched, I'll probably just buy another one and retire this one to measuring water on brew day.

But if it weren't cheap, that would wreck the whole argument in its favor.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Agree. My main concern would be with it getting scratched.

I use a plastic bucket for primary. It's very convenient and cheap...so if it does get scratched, I'll probably just buy another one and retire this one to measuring water on brew day.

But if it weren't cheap, that would wreck the whole argument in its favor.

SS would be great but you're talking more than twice the amount of money for one.

I'm curious how the inside will get scratched? It wouldn't be like a bucket where you throw all your stuff in it to sanitize. I mean at $200 I think I would take care of it.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
mozicodo

Recipes 

Has anyone ever actually had first hand experience of a bad batch of beer because of using plastic?

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarilla
Has anyone ever actually had first hand experience of a bad batch of beer because of using plastic?

While searching these I came across another forum and a guy claimed his wife works for a lab and they tested these for oxygen permiation and it didn't have any after 30 days. I know you can't trust everything on the net but the stuff is 5/16" thick.

I'm just curious if the same things that apply to a bucket would apply here. Plus are they even the same material?

Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have an 8 gallon Minibrew fermenter and like it a lot... never had any problems of scratching the inside as nothing goes inside it except some paper towels during cleanup. I just can't see putting big bucks into stainless steel when these work just as good. Plus I'm really not out to impress anyone else with my equipment.

In fact, I've been so impressed with their fermenters that I have just purchased their HLT and Mash Tun and have been in direct contact with John Thomas, from Hobby Beverage, about creating a matching heat exchanger for the Mash Tun... hopefully that will turn out soon.

Check eBay for these... there are several sellers out there who have them much cheaper. There one seller in particular who seems to list many of their products for really good prices but I can't seem to locate him at the moment. I'll post later if I can find it.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere
I have an 8 gallon Minibrew fermenter and like it a lot... never had any problems of scratching the inside as nothing goes inside it except some paper towels during cleanup. I just can't see putting big bucks into stainless steel when these work just as good. Plus I'm really not out to impress anyone else with my equipment.

In fact, I've been so impressed with their fermenters that I have just purchased their HLT and Mash Tun and have been in direct contact with John Thomas, from Hobby Beverage, about creating a matching heat exchanger for the Mash Tun... hopefully that will turn out soon.

Check eBay for these... there are several sellers out there who have them much cheaper. There one seller in particular who seems to list many of their products for really good prices but I can't seem to locate him at the moment. I'll post later if I can find it.
Thanks John, I have checked ebay and I also don't see them. Let us know if you track it down.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Thanks John, I have checked ebay and I also don't see them. Let us know if you track it down.
I emailed the seller last night... He is going to relist them all later this week. Hobby Beverage just increased their prices (for the first time in five years apparently) which forced him to remove all his auctions. I'll post the link once he does.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Actually just clicked link from Homebrew.com - I don't know the exact price increases that just occurred but I'd try to see if they would sell you one for that price as that does not reflect Hobby Beverage's price increases.

Quick Reply