Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 11 1/2" false bottom big enough for MLT keggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
HomeBrewFoSho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 11 1/2" false bottom big enough for MLT keggle?

Hey guys, couldn't really find the answer to this. How many people are using an 11 1/2" diameter Stainless false bottom? Is there a huge difference between that and the 13 3/4" false bottom with hinges? Well I see one huge difference.... PRICE! I have a burner under my Mash Tun and will recirculate if necessary (probably more so in the winter). Will I have trouble with the 11 1/2"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2770 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 120

You want the false bottom to be the same width as the ID of the keg or it is pointless. You'd have grains falling around the edges and going under the false bottom, thus negating the point of have a false bottom. Same principal applies to sludge if using it for a boil kettle.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
You want the false bottom to be the same width as the ID of the keg or it is pointless. You'd have grains falling around the edges and going under the false bottom, thus negating the point of have a false bottom. Same principal applies to sludge if using it for a boil kettle.
With the bottom of the keggle being angled in the smaller one will also be touching all the way around? Just not as big of a surface area correct?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewFoSho View Post
With the bottom of the keggle being angled in the smaller one will also be touching all the way around? Just not as big of a surface area correct?
I suppose that's true, but you need to look at how tall the feet (if any) are and how far the dip tube would stick below the FB. Compare tat all to where the smaller size would sit in the keg. I think it's be best to buy the one size for the vessel you're buying it for. IMO

Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I suppose that's true, but you need to look at how tall the feet (if any) are and how far the dip tube would stick below the FB. Compare tat all to where the smaller size would sit in the keg. I think it's be best to buy the one size for the vessel you're buying it for. IMO
Yeah, I'm looking at the ones from Climaxhomebrew. They seem to have the best price. There are no legs on it so if anything there would be less "dead" space which I would think would be better. I can't imagine the grain channeling too much just because it's an 1 1/2" less around the edges? It's either $24 for the 11 1/2" or like $70 for the 14 3/4

Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Aak him how much space is left under the false bottom. Or just measure out 11.5" diameter across the bottom of the keg and see how low on the slope that puts it. As long as you have some room under it you'd be fine.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think it would depend on what your burner and it's flame output looks like. If you have a lot of heat hitting the bottom outer edges, you might have some scorching concerns. If not, I think a 12" is fine. My FB is 15.5" diameter and it takes 7/8ths of a gallon to reach it. This is NOT dead space though. I don't think there's a name for it so I'm going to coin it "idle space". Dead space is how much liquid is left after a full draining. With an appropriate dip tube, it should be less than a cup.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think it would depend on what your burner and it's flame output looks like. If you have a lot of heat hitting the bottom outer edges, you might have some scorching concerns. If not, I think a 12" is fine. My FB is 15.5" diameter and it takes 7/8ths of a gallon to reach it. This is NOT dead space though. I don't think there's a name for it so I'm going to coin it "idle space". Dead space is how much liquid is left after a full draining. With an appropriate dip tube, it should be less than a cup.
Yeah , you're right. It's not dead space, I misspoke. I have a banjo burner that I'm converting to NG. I totally see what you're saying. I hope I could turn down my burner enough ? Now I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the bigger one.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'll want to run the burner really low anyway and as long as you're recirculating, you'll be OK. I'd buy a cooler before I dropped 70 bucks on a false bottom.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
cletusp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewFoSho View Post
Yeah , you're right. It's not dead space, I misspoke. I have a banjo burner that I'm converting to NG. I totally see what you're saying. I hope I could turn down my burner enough ? Now I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the bigger one.
What did you do to convert to NG? Winter killed my garage time 90% of the way through my RIMS build. Started second in basement. Just need burners. Please help.

Quick Reply