Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   10 Gal Corny Key with Rust? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/10-gal-corny-key-rust-116396/)

Beerdrop 04-28-2009 01:26 AM

10 Gal Corny Key with Rust?
 
3 Attachment(s)
I was fortunate to pick up the pictured 10 gal corny keg for a mere 30 bucks after picking up an ebay win for a normal 5 gal variety. However, as pictured, it has what appears to be rust in the inside.

Attachment 10922

Attachment 10923

Attachment 10924

I'm in no rush to use this so I didn't scrub anything until I asked the HBT tribunal. I did soak in PBW for a few hours but nothing came out. Questions are

Can I scrub with a fine steel wool or scotch brite and use as a storage vessel for finished product

More importantly, I was hoping to use this as a dirt cheap 10 gal stainless steel primary, first with the standard racking tube then eventually drilling a hole near the bottom for a 1/2" valve drain assembly. If I scrub with the aforementioned steel wool, would this present a problem.

Thanks,

beerthirty 04-28-2009 01:44 AM

DO NOT use steel wool. You can use a scotchbrite pad or see if you can find a Stainless Steel scrubby. Steel wool will embed steel particles and make the problem worse. Once the rust is gone make a small double strength batch of Star San. Using a paper or cloth towel rub the entire inside with the solution. Turn it upside down and allow it to sit with the top off for several days. The dilute acid solution and exposure to oxygen will help to passivate the stainless steel. It is this coating that makes it stainless and prevents rusting. Once clean and passivated use a plastic toilet bowl brush(preferable new) to clean it. This won't damage the coating you have just applied.

Soperbrew 04-28-2009 01:47 AM

Barkeeper's Friend claims it will take off rust & is safe for stainless steel. I use it to clean my boil kettles. It should be available at the local walmart.

Bar Keepers Friend --Free Shipping

http://barkeepersfriend.com/images/bkf_cans.jpg

jspence1 04-28-2009 02:10 AM

That looks a lot like the worlds hardest substance.....beerstone. You will eventually get it out with acid. I had similar stuff in one of my kegs and it was a bitch to get out good luck.

Beerdrop 04-28-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspence1 (Post 1288329)
That looks a lot like the worlds hardest substance.....beerstone. You will eventually get it out with acid. I had similar stuff in one of my kegs and it was a bitch to get out good luck.


Praytell, what is beerstone? I got this from a soda guy, and the markings on the top indicate that this tank was used for water. I may learn 2 new things today.... :mug:

Beerdrop 04-28-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerthirty (Post 1288251)
DO NOT use steel wool. You can use a scotchbrite pad or see if you can find a Stainless Steel scrubby. Steel wool will embed steel particles and make the problem worse. Once the rust is gone make a small double strength batch of Star San. Using a paper or cloth towel rub the entire inside with the solution. Turn it upside down and allow it to sit with the top off for several days. The dilute acid solution and exposure to oxygen will help to passivate the stainless steel. It is this coating that makes it stainless and prevents rusting. Once clean and passivated use a plastic toilet bowl brush(preferable new) to clean it. This won't damage the coating you have just applied.

Good info - I'll try the scotchbrite. You jogged my memory regarding the steel wool on SS thread I read awhile back. Good thing I asked first

And 'preferable new' toilet brush for cleaning? You're killing me..:)

Now given this fix, CAN I USE THIS AS A FERMENTOR?

conpewter 04-28-2009 01:33 PM

I love barkeepers friend, cleans really well and then helps passivate due to the oxilic acid.

Yes you can use it as a fermenter. You don't even need to do anything to it as when you push the beer out you'll get a tiny bit of trub right around the dip tube but that's it.

madewithchicken 04-28-2009 02:25 PM

Does bar keepers friend work well as a soak in kegs? I am currently using a lot of oxyclean.

I can get Bar Keepers Friend pretty cheap from my restaurant supplier.

conpewter 04-28-2009 03:07 PM

I've never used it for soaking, I use oxyclean (or store brand equivalent) and use barkeepers friend for spot cleaning. I've been using it on stubborn bottle labels lately (when they leave glue even after 1 day in oxyclean)

Beerdrop 04-28-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conpewter (Post 1288890)
I love barkeepers friend, cleans really well and then helps passivate due to the oxilic acid.

Yes you can use it as a fermenter. You don't even need to do anything to it as when you push the beer out you'll get a tiny bit of trub right around the dip tube but that's it.


Are you referring to pushing out the beer using CO2 at low PSI? If so, could I just cut the dip tube by 1/2 to 1 inch to help further? That'd be better than using a racking cane and siphon.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.