#1 PET water bottles deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
there are a lot of threads on here about using water bottles as fermenters, so i wanted to make a recommendation

after looking at a bunch of stores locally, including Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, and multiple grocery stores, the only 5 gallon water bottles i could find were #7s which means they are unspecified type of plastic and should not be used for fermenting. (according to most folks on HBT)

i love better bottles and want a couple more but im sick of spending $28 for each 5 gallon BB at my LHBS.

So i came across this site:
Two 5 Gallon (PET) Water Bottles

and ordered these two #1 PETE 5 gallon bottles, for $27 including shipping. i recieved them yesterday and already have them in use. they are blue, but other than that i dont see any disadvantage and i got two for the price of one Better Bottle. if you are in the market for more vessels, i'd check it out.

they are perfect secondaries, and they work well as primaries for cider, mead, apfelwein etc. since there isnt much if any krausen.

just to make sure I understand these have a #1 imprinted on the bottom, because I looked at some culligan water bottles today that look exactly the same except they have a #7 on the bottom?

I've got a few of the bottles from kegkits.com They are $9.95 ea and made of polycarbonate not Pet. Thats the same stuff baby bottles are made of. I really like them alot they make great secondarys.

Also check out BJ's. It's kinda like Sam's club. They have #1 PETE bottles for $9 a piece. Well technically $5, but you have to buy the water in them also for $4. I do extracts and use the water to fill up the Ale Pale to 5.5 gallons. But I have a better bottle that i also paid 26 bucks for. It sucks that it's not 6 or 6.5 gallons though. Cheapest PET bottle I've found yet that you can just go to the store and get though.

Back