Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 1 BBL construction in Costa Rica. Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
Rackerman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 BBL construction in Costa Rica. Help?

Hello all,

My wife and I are back in costa rica and poised to make the next move on construction of our mini-brewery. Back in the states I acquired a three-tier gravity system and brewed some moderatly successful all-grain batches - this ****´s easy... well, not really at all and I´m fully grasping how much i have to learn, but I´m happy with how things have gone so far.

I am a newbie for sure, but we have a great idea here in the land of terrible beer and a whole community (and thirsty customers) pulling for us.

So, I ripped off my burners from my system back in Boston and brought them down here with me, along with some misc. hard to find parts, and am slowly moving forward with the next phase. I am going for a 1BBL system and am currently commissioning the construction of pots. My plan is to have two 55 gal stainless steel pot built here with some stainless steel ball valves I´ve brought from the states welded on. I´m going to use these for my hot water tank and boil kettle. I´m going to purchase the 55 gal BoilerMaker mash tun (seen on the Blichman Engineering website no URL allowed). It´s just easier to purchase than build and only slightly more money.

I have a strange request and a not so odd dilema... first the dilema - I´ve come to realize I am likely unable to construct this myself. I have a friend in town who is a welder and can put together the frame and TIG weld the piping. I also am friendly with a plumber and electrician than would be able to assist as needed with the temp controls. My problem is I need plans for them to use. I want to see if any one of you equipment-savy guys or gals would be interested if I commissioned you to draw up plans for a system, piping, electrical, pump location, etc.

I want to go with a simple, temperature controlled system, similar to the B3 1100 on the three system (only 1bbl size). IF your specialty is HERMS I´m interested as well. I would also potentially be willing to fly you down and put you up here to help w/the install (depending on what you have to offer for skill set - welding, electrical, etc.).

So that´s my strange request. I´m puting this offer up on some brew-boards and am going to float this to our new friend here who just re-started his microbrewery, K&S - whassup Gabe if you´re reading - in the capital. That´s about the size of it. This is a serious offer and please let me know if you are interested and your qualifications - pics are nice but don´t need to be sent on the first email. Just need to do the proper vetting.

Timeline - w/in the next 1.5 months (today is 12/16) or July 2009 onward.

BTW - we are located in the beautiful quiet surfer-town of Santa Teresa/Mal Pais, Costa Rica and we part-time manage the Hotel El Rey Patricio (www.elreypatriciocr.com)

Thanks,
Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I wish you all the luck in starting out a brewery in a far off land. If I ever make it to Costa Rica, I'll look you up.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Ryan:
I have recently done something very similar in my garage. My boil kettle is a 55 gallon stainless steel drum. It is powered with two 4500 watt water heater elements. My Mash tun is a 55 gallon high density polyethylene drum (blue plastic barrel). My hot liquor tank is a 15.5 gallon converted keg with herms heat exchange coil. The hlt is also powered by two 4500 watt elements. My brewery has slowly grown from a 10 gallon propane powered herms system to a 35 gallon electric powered herms system. My hlt tank is clearly undersized and will likely be my next modification. Anyhow, I am more than willing to share my experience. Send me a PM if you want to discuss.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

How long does it take to boil 35 gallons of wort with 9000W?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
How long does it take to boil 35 gallons of wort with 9000W?
35 gallons from 155F(runoff temp) to Boil with 95% eff takes 34mins.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
35 gallons from 155F(runoff temp) to Boil with 95% eff takes 34mins.
No, not in theory... I mean, really how long. I can punch that into my calculator too, I mean, really.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I mash out to 165F. I drain the mash tun and start heating the wort as soon as the electric elements are fully immersed in wort. I then do one batch sparge with 170F water. My first runnings are usually boiling before I start draining my second runnings. It usually takes another 15 minutes to bring it all to boil after the second runnings are completely drained. During my first 35 gallon batch, I started the boil with 45 gallons of wort and I ran my PID on 90% power to maintain a nice rolling boil. My BK is not insulated (yet) and I did this batch in my garage with temp of about 30F.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
mrkeeg
Recipes 

Sounds great, good on ya! I've traveled a few times to central and S. america (costa rica, mexico, ecuador, brasil), and have thought to myself "someone should come down here and make some good beer"...

Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Rackerman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default thanks for the responses

sorry its taken so long to get back. HBF does not like to load on the dial up down here so I've been unavailable (now at a sat. connection). Again thanks for those who've got back to me and I will follow up with PMs. I have brough down two 45,000 BTu propoane burners with me. for 50 gallons on the boil kettle should I be looking at something larger?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
brewpal
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I get 50 gal boiling on my rig no problem.

Sanke propane HLT supplied with domestic hot water tank water gravity feeds to 55 SS drum MLT which is then pumped into the 55 gal drum NG jet burner fired kettle. I did not really have plans to go by other than some ideas I had. Keeping the elements separate has allowed me to experiment to find the optimal placement.

Quick Reply