Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 1.5 gallon glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
DharkMeadBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1.5 gallon glass carboy

does anyone know where I can find a 1.5 gallon glass carboy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

I've seen 1 and 3 gallon but never 1.5.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
DharkMeadBrewer
Recipes 

I've heard of them on different forums before, or different brewing sites, I can get a 1.5 gallon bucket or a 1.3 gallon glass carboy (its called something different) theya must be out there

Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
DharkMeadBrewer
Recipes 

maybe a cheap 6 liter wine bottle?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have 6 liter plastic bottles, but I have not seen anything in glass

http://morebeer.com/view_product/182..._1.5gal_Bottle

Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Unfortunately...you can't get one in a traditional sense, they don't exist. I've been looking for a 1.5 for a few months now, someone posted how they found one on ebay but I have never come across one. My guess is that someone will get around to this in the next few years but there are some options:

1. Try different search engines and term names: Look for 6 liter or 6 quart or 6000 mililiter carboys, they are out there but not glass.

2. Scientific industry suppliers have some things that come close. I have found a 2.3 Carboy that is very sexy...only issue is that these sites are for scientists and institutes...I needed to order a case of 6 for over $700! Plus, if you get up that high, why not just buy a 3 gallon

3. A final true solution to this is along the lines of the other posters. DO NOT try fermenting in cheap wine glass...that is just asking for trouble. You need to purchase a champagne bottle for safety reasons. A 1.5 gallon champagne bottle is called a Methuselah. You will probably have to special order one unless you live in wine country. The only issue with this is even with "cheap" champagne, the sheer size of the bottle will probably come with an equally big price tag...up to you

Hope this helps...I am in the same boat as you are as I really only brew 1-gallon batches but most carboys do not allow the room for a "full" batch with krausen and all. Let me know if you come across anything, I did find an antique carboy on ebay this morning with no size stated, but one of the pictures is up against a bottle and it looks a little more than a 1-gallon, its strangly shaped though.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I tried to post this earlier but it didn't appear...hope this works:

I am in the same boat you are, I LOVE 1-gallon batches; their easy, great for experimenting, and don't require much in terms of cost. I am also with you that 1-gallon carboys simply do not hold a full batch. You usually have very little space in the carboy and get an overflow during fermentation. DO NOT listen to people telling you to use cheap wine bottles. They can not handle fementation* A few solutions for you, since I have literally spent months trying to find a 1.5 myself:

1. Try different search terms and search engines such as 6 liter, 6 quart, and 6000 mililiters, these can lead you to better sites and not just to amazon, ebay and brew supply chains (which have none)

2. There is an antique carboy on ebay right now that looks like it is around a 1.5, very old and not a standard so check it out but be warned.

3. You need to head to scientific supply stores to get this done. I have found a 2.3 so far but they want you to order a case of 6 or 8 for over $600! I have found 5 liter glass carboys on there...

4. The * I put up there earlier. Buying some large cheap wine bottle is only going to get you a REALLY cheap pierce of glass. If you really want one that can survive fermentation, you need to get a champagne bottle. 1 1/2 gallon bottles are called an Imperial or a Methuselah (true champagne name). Of course, now that your buying one of the largest bottle of champagne on earth, you again getting into some pricey areas, but it will be exactly what you want. Go to your local wine store and see what's the cheapest they can order, get it and celebrate with a few friends on your spectacular ability to find a 1.5 gallon carboy when they really don't exist.

5. You can get one custom made by a packaging or container company, this might be expensive but I'm looking into it. They probably don't want to make only one, but there is a market for it so well see.

Hope this helps, send a pic if you get one!

Best,
Cali

Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Calichusetts

I'm not sure why you think glass wine bottles can't be used for fermentation.

You should have a piece of foil or an airlock on the top to allow the co2 to escape.

I would imagine you can find lots of different glass jars that look like this at local stores:

I searched for 2 gallon and 1.5 gallon glass jar on Google to find that.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 11-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

These work great and they are only $10.00 each right now!

nurture my pig

Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

He's looking for a glass carboy not a jar, guess it doesn't really make a difference...

Wine bottles are not meant to handle pressure, they may, but there is always a risk of breaking...he could easily use a beverage holder (many on Amazon at 1.5 gallons) but they too are not meant for any type of pressure.

Last edited by Calichusetts; 11-16-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply