The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 1/2 barrel keg as fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Pancho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1/2 barrel keg as fermenter

I've got three 5 gal batches of RIS finishing up their primary fermentation. I plan on putting them into a 15 gallon keg.

Here's my question...how do I sanitize this thing?!!! I'm planning on dropping a gallon of StarSan into it and shake the poop out of it.

Any other ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
BigJim_inFLA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If you have a propane burner you can put some water in it and boil away. That will sanitize it real nice. I'm an electric brewer so I put a gallon of star-san in it, cap it with a 2" tri clover cap, and shake the poop out of it. It works just fine if it is clean and does not have any beer stone in it. I have one keg with beer stone in the bottom that infected a batch of beer.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
I've got three 5 gal batches of RIS finishing up their primary fermentation. I plan on putting them into a 15 gallon keg.

Here's my question...how do I sanitize this thing?!!! I'm planning on dropping a gallon of StarSan into it and shake the poop out of it.

Any other ideas?
I'd think your plan will work fine. Boiling will work, too. I'd do which ever suits you best.

Here's how I've sanitized my Sankes

I ferment in 15.5 gal. Sankes. After I rack out of the keg, I'll rinse all of the solids out. Then fill w/hot water and sodium percarbonate. This removes all of the krausen. I'll rinse again then dump StarSan in and swirl a few times trying to get the StarSan in contact with all surfaces. Dump the StarSan and cover with foil until I'm ready to use it again. This has been my method for approximately 1500 gallon w/o contamination.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Pancho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I traded some mead for this keg so I don't know what it has/had in it. Is sod. percarbonate, oxyclean? will it remove beer stone? I don't know if there is any in the keg.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes, percarbonate is the active ingredient in oxyclean.

Hot water and oxy should remove any organically occurring soil.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Pancho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm purchasing the carboy/keg cleaner sanke version to help w/ scrubbing. thanks for your help!

Quick Reply