The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is 0.236"/6mm thickness enough for a stainless steel kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
frank_grimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is 0.236"/6mm thickness enough for a stainless steel kettle?

Have just purchased a 34L stainless steel kettle with a 6mm base, and my flatmate advised that heating the base of it over too high a temperature will result in burnt spots appearing in the base of it.

Is this still useful for doing my boil in? The base can cover all four elements on our gas stove, if I set these all to low heat and wait a little longer for the boil will I be OK to use this thing as a kettle?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: OK, after checking up on other threads regarding pot thickness I'm satisfied that it is thick enough, my 14L pot has a copper sandwich base which is probably the reason my new stockpot felt so light when I took it out of the box.

For NZ brewers: check these guys out http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=4046870 - seems like pretty awesome value on stockpots in a range of sizes. Will bump this thread once I've tested it out and can give some proper feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Those look like nice pots at a good value once I converted from liters / kiwi to more familiar units...cheers.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply