Pecan Pie Porter
Did not blog about the HoPS Oktoberfest Hoppy Red Ale I made. It was drunk. Let's just leave it at that. Brewing Pecan Pie Porter. Used a bit more than the 0.5 lbs of pecans. Mashed them up with a hammer and added them to the grain. After 60 min. I did not have complete conversion. Noticed that my temp had gone below 150 so I added an unknown amount of boiling water to the tun. Got the temp up to 151 and sat for 30 min. Temp dipped again and I added a bit more boiling water. However, I did have conversion so I went to Vorlauf. After 2-3 gal. I drained off almost 14 quarts and added 180 degree sparge water. Stirred for 10 minutes. Did the Vorlauf again, 3.5 gallons. Added 6 more quarts. Hope this will boil down/lose volume to about 4 gallons. Gravity was 1.040 at 122 degrees. Added about 0.5 oz of German Northern Brewer (A:9.6%, B:5.5%) at the beginning of the boil and another 0.5 oz at 30 min. Added 1.5 lbs of DME at about 10 min. Ended up with a little over 4 gallons. Gravity was about 1.064. Added American Ale yeast. Update: Now realized that I used 1# of pecans in the mash instead of 0.5. Almost a week later and it is fermenting away.
- Stupid question time
- Clearing Agents
- Hazelnut syrup in Brewcraft kit not refrigerated, skip it?
- The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread
- Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen
- ebay aquarium temp controller build
- How many gallons of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde have been brewed?
- TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller
- Critique me!
- You know you're a home brewer when?
- Cocoa Powder - TO BOIL OR NOT TO BOIL