My second attempt at brewin is going a little more smoothly thus far. Dortmunder yIeld: 5gal SG: 1.048-1.056 FG: 1.010-1.014 ABV: 4.8-6.0% IBU: 23-29 Ingredients 6.6lbs Plain malt extract(liquid) 1lbs plain light dry malt extract 1lb crushed crystal malt 30l 8oz crushed carapils 1oz hallertau for bittering 2oz cascade for finish 11g brewing yeast The Boil -I boiled the first 2.5 gal of water last night and put it in my carboy to cool. It was at a nice 80 degrees this morning. -I began this morning by sanitizing my equipment, then steeping the crystal malt and carapils in room temp water and bringing the temp up to 165. Steeped at 165 for 15-20 min. Drained the steeping bag and brought water to a boil. -Once boiling i added the liquid and dry extract and brought back to boil, then added hallertau. Succesfuly avoided boil over this time.Nice. -45min into the boil I added a heavy ounce of cascade for flavor -55 min into the boil i added a light ounce of cascade for aroma. -60 min i ended the boil. Hydrating the yeast -To hydrate the yeast, this time i followed the instructions on the package. sprinkled the yeast into 1ounce of water. Stirred gently after 15 min. Yeast became active shortly after. Cooling the wort. -I immersed the pot in a big snow bank on my back porch. to be cute i guess. -brought it back inside once the snow was gone. immersed it in my sink full of water and ice. Then dropped my thermometer in the wort. perfect. Fished it out with sanitized plastic spoon. Now i wait. - Got the wort down to about 100 and poured into the carboy(with 2.5 gal of cooled water at 73), mixed wort ended up at 81. -syphoned sample for OG. OG: 1.062 @78 degrees(hydro calibrated at 70) Yeast pitched at 81 degrees. cork and airlock inserted, into the closet with ya!!!! 1/08/09 - got home from work and found that the carboy was about to bubble up into the airlock, so i fashioned a blow off tube outof my syphon equipment. 1/12/09 - I knew this was going too well. So i bought a second 5gal carboy thinking i would try secondary. Cool right, no big deal. Well my syphone equipment was all messed up from the makeshift blow off hose i used it for. I figured it would be, so when i bought the carboy i bought a new racking cane and hose. When i set up all the equipment and started the syphon, i couldnt get it to maintain. After some investigation i realized the damn syphon hose was too big and air was getting in where it hooked up the the racking cane. Perfect. so now i have about 1/4 gallon of carbureted halfbeer. I wrappped the hose and cane connection in plastic wrap and the syphon went well from there. Hopefully its not ruined. ****in Rozi's. Took the SG: 1.025 1/17/09 Bottling Day I was going to wait until monday to bottle but since i brewed my honey wheat and was already in beer mode, i figured id do it now, besides i wont really have time monday. It all went pretty smooth. I may have half assed my bottles a little. Which is not good. Im putting my faith in God on it. FG: 1.02, kinda high.